Fitbit Versa Lite edition’s latest firmware, as of August 2021, is the version 220.127.116.11. This firmware update will also update the Fitbit app on your smart phone to Fitbit operating system 4.2.2. The Fitbit OS is compatible with the firmware update version 18.104.22.168 on Fitbit Versa lite edition watch.
At this point, it is worth noting that the firmware on Versa 3 is different than the Versa Lite edition, for obvious reasons. Both products are driven by different firmware . Also, the Versa 3 has a different version of compatible Fitbit OS. To know how you can update the firmware on a Versa 3 watch, please follow the instructions from this page. And, to update the firmware on the Fitbit Sense watch, please considering the instructions from this page.
When it comes to updating the Fitbit smart watches, the instructions are clear and the process ought to complete successfully without any associated hassles. We have divided the update cycle into four steps. Let us update the Fitbit Versa lite edition’s firmware by following instructions in a phased manner or in a step by step approach.
Ensure battery charge on Fitbit Versa lite and Fitbit app phone
We want to make sure that the Fitbit Versa lite edition watch is fully charged. We will also want the Fitbit app phone to be fully charged. The update cycle may take more than an hour. During the update, the watch and the phone’s Fitbit app will be updated automatically. We need to provision ample battery charge so that both – Fitbit Versa lite and the paired Fitbit app can update successfully. Disrupted updates can lead to unforeseen issues and may also corrupt the existing firmware files on the watch. Disrupted updates could also corrupt the Fitbit app files on the phone.
Ensure good Bluetooth connectivity
Another important part of updating the firmware on Fitbit Versa lite is to ensure that the Bluetooth connection between the Versa lite watch and the Fitbit app smart phone is good. Good connectivity between the Fitbit device and the Fitbit app is absolutely critical for the successful update.
This is the precise reason why we suggest that the Versa lite watch and the paired smart phone should be kept side by side or both devices should be located close to each other. Further, we will also suggest to drop other Bluetooth connected devices from the smart phone.
Note the current firmware version on Fitbit Versa lite
One of the structured ways of updating the Fitbit Versa lite watch is to also make a note of the existing firmware version on the Fitbit Versa lite. Knowing the current firmware version will help in taking troubleshooting steps in the event of a failed update of the firmware on Fitbit Versa lite or a failed update of the Fitbit operating system on the Fitbit app.
To know the current firmware version that is installed on the Fitbit Versa lite watch, we can either use the Fitbit app or the fitbit.com website dashboard. We will explore both the instructions herein:
To know the Versa lite firmware version from the Fitbit app:
- In the Fitbit app, tap the Today tab
- Tap your profile picture
- Check your device image. The firmware version number appears under your device’s name.
To know the current firmware version from the fitbit.com dashboard,
- click the gear icon and
- select your device to find the firmware version.
On certain Fitbit devices (including Versa), you can find the firmware version in the Settings app About or Device Info.
Once you know the current version of firmware on your Fitbit Versa lite, we will update the firmware to the latest version – VERSION 22.214.171.124.
We have two different methods for updating the firmware on the Fitbit Versa lite device. We can update the firmware on Versa lite watch through the Fitbit app from your phone. Alternatively, we can update the firmware on the Versa lite using the Fitbit connect from your desktop computer or laptop.
Update the firmware on Fitbit Versa using the Fitbit App
- Firmware updates only become available if you allow the Fitbit app to run in the background. You may need to adjust your phone’s settings to allow the Fitbit app to run in the background. This step is critical for the update process to initiate.
- With your charged Fitbit device nearby, open the Fitbit app.
- Tap the Today tab your profile picture your device image.
- Tap the pink Update button. This option only appears if an update is available.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and keep the device close to your phone, tablet, or computer during the update. After you start the update, a progress bar appears on your device and in the Fitbit app until the update is complete. This may take an hour or more to complete the updates on your Fitbit Versa lite watch.
Update the firmware on Fitbit Versa lite using the fitbit.com dashboard
- You will need Fitbit connect app to be installed on your computer to follow this process of updating the firmware on your Versa lite smart watch.
- Confirm that you have the latest version of Fitbit Connect. To do so:
- Click the Fitbit Connect icon located near the date and time on your computer.
- Click Open Main Menu.
- Click Troubleshooting.
- Below the Fitbit Connect number, click Check for updates.
- Go back to the main menu and click Check for device update.
- When prompted, log in to your Fitbit account.
- If an update is available, follow the on-screen instructions and keep your Fitbit Versa 3 device close to your computer during the update. After you start the updates, a progress bar appears on your device and in Fitbit Connect until the update is complete.
This update cycle for the Fitbit Versa lite watch should see it upgraded to the latest firmware version – VERSION 126.96.36.199. This will also update the Fitbit OS on the paired smart phone to the Fitbit OS version 4.2.2. Should you run into issues post the firmware update, please contact the Fitbit support for further assistance.
If you have other models of Fitbit smart watches, you may follow the instructions to update the firmware and the Fitbit OS using the helpful links below:
- You can update the firmware version on Fitbit Sense by following the instructions on this page.
- To update the firmware version on Fitbit Versa 3, please follow the instructions on this page.
- To update the firmware version on Fitbit Versa 2, please follow the instructions on this page.
- You may update the firmware on Fitbit Versa, by following the instructions from here.
- To update the firmware on Fitbit Versa lite edition, please follow the instructions here.
Rajesh Dhawan is a technology professional who loves to blog about smart wearables, Cloud computing and Microsoft technologies. He loves to break complex problems into manageable chunks of meaningful information.