Fitbit released a new firmware version 18.104.22.168 for Versa 2 devices. This update has been (silently) released to add the SpO2 tracking clock face on the Versa 2 smartwatch.
Fitbit Versa 2 firmware 22.214.171.124 will also update the Fitbit operating system to version 4.2.4. But, we suggest exercising restraint in pushing this update version 126.96.36.199 on the Versa 2 device.
More and more Fitbit Versa 2 devices have been getting the firmware update 188.8.131.52 since September 2022. This update is also causing a few issues on the Versa 2 devices.
There have been user complaints about all sorts of issues after deploying firmware 184.108.40.206 on the Versa 2 smartwatches. You can read more about the issues on Fitbit Versa 2 after firmware update 220.127.116.11 on this page.
In this document, we will find more about the latest firmware for Fitbit Versa 2 smart watch. As of today, the latest Fitbit firmware for the Fitbit Versa 2 smart watch is VERSION 18.104.22.168. If you are aware of other Fitbit devices, you will notice that this firmware is different than the current version on the Fitbit Sense or Fitbit Versa 3 smart watches. So, do understand that the firmware updates on Fitbit Versa 2 and Fitbit Versa 3 are on a different trajectory.
The firmware on VERSION 22.214.171.124will also update the Fitbit app and the Fitbit operating system to the VERSION 4.2.2. The Versa 2 watch is compatible with the Fitbit OS 4.2.4. In comparison, Versa 3 is compatible with the latest Fitbit OS 5.2.2 that caters to the Fitbit app for the Versa 3 and the Sense smart watches. The OS release 4.2.4 is an update containing bug fixes and product improvements.
To update your Fitbit Versa 2’s firmware to the VERSION 126.96.36.199, we need to prepare for the update. As a pre-requisite before updating the firmware on the Fitbit Versa 2, we need to:
- make sure that the Fitbit Versa 2 smart watch is fully charged
- make sure that the Fitbit app phone is fully charged
- make sure that the Fitbit Versa 2 smart watch and the Fitbit app phone are located close to each other. This is done to ensure there is a good connection between the Versa 2 device and the mobile phone that hosts the Fitbit app.
A firmware update on the Versa 2 could take one hour or longer. This is the reason that we ensure that the battery charge on the Versa 2 and the Fitbit app phone can sustain the entire update cycle. An update that fails in the middle, for whatever reason, can lead to unpredictable results and issues.
From our side, we also advise that non-essential Bluetooth connections between the Fitbit app phone and other devices be stopped or dropped for the time of update cycle. This is done to ensure that the Bluetooth connectivity between the Fitbit app phone and the Versa 2 smart watch is not constrained because of another device. In other words, we do not want to have any device pairing issues during the course of firmware update on the Versa 2 smart watch.
Now that we are ready with the actual update process, we need to understand that Fitbit allows us a couple of ways to update the firmware on the Versa 2 watch. One method involves updating the firmware using the Fitbit app. In this method, Fitbit app will push the update to the Versa 2 device. In the second method, we use the web-based fitbit.com dashboard to update the firmware on the Versa 2 device. You could use either of these two methods to push firmware updates on the Versa 2 smart watch. Below, we look at both ways to update the firmware on the Versa 2 smart watch.
Before initiating the update cycle, let us make a note of the current firmware version that is installed on the Fitbit Versa 2. To do so, please follow the instructions below:
Find the current firmware version of the Fitbit Versa 2 watch
We can find out the current Fitbit Versa 2 firmware version through the Fitbit app, or through the Fitbit.com website’s dashboard. We list both the methods below:
Find Fitbit firmware version through Fitbit app
- In the Fitbit app, tap the Today tab
- Tap your profile picture
- Check your device image. The firmware version number appears under your device’s name.
This will reveal the firmware version installed on the Fitbit Versa 2 smart watch.
Find Fitbit firmware version through the fitbit.com dashboard
- click the gear icon and
- select your device to find the firmware version.
This will also tell you the firmware already installed on the Fitbit Versa 2 smart watch.
Once you know the Fitbit firmware version on the Fitbit Versa 2 smart watch, we need to update the firmware version to the latest version available through Fitbit – VERSION 188.8.131.52. We can update the Fitbit firmware through the Fitbit app on your phone or through the Fitbit connect from a computer. Below, we will look at both methods to update the firmware on Fitbit Versa 2 firmware to the VERSION 184.108.40.206 .
Update the firmware on Fitbit Versa 2 through Fitbit App
- Firmware updates only become available if you allow the Fitbit app to run in the background. You may need to adjust your phone’s settings to allow the Fitbit app to run in the background.
- With your charged Fitbit device nearby, open the Fitbit app.
- Tap the Today tab your profile picture your device image.
- Tap the pink Update button. This option only appears if an update is available.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and keep the device close to your phone, tablet, or computer during the update. After you start the update, a progress bar appears on your device and in the Fitbit app until the update is complete. This may take an hour or more to complete the updates.
Update the firmware on Fitbit Versa 2 through fitbit.com dashboard
- You will need Fitbit connect app to be installed on your computer to follow this process of updating the firmware on your Fitbit Versa 2 smart watch.
- Confirm that you have the latest version of Fitbit Connect. To do so:
- Click the Fitbit Connect icon located near the date and time on your computer.
- Click Open Main Menu.
- Click Troubleshooting.
- Below the Fitbit Connect number, click Check for updates.
- Go back to the main menu and click Check for device update.
- When prompted, log in to your Fitbit account.
- If an update is available, follow the on-screen instructions and keep your Fitbit Versa 2 device close to your computer during the update. After you start the updates, a progress bar appears on your device and in Fitbit Connect until the update is complete.
Post the update of the firmware on Versa 2 and the Fitbit OS to 4.2.4, do check and validate the current version of firmware on the Versa 2. You can follow the same instructions as we have stated above to know the firmware version using the Fitbit app or the fitbit.com dashboard. A successful update will show the current version of firmware on the Versa 2 smart watch – VERSION 220.127.116.11.
If you can validate the version, your update of the Versa 2 firmware has been completed successfully.
If you have other models of Fitbit smart watches, you may follow the instructions to update the firmware and the Fitbit OS using the helpful links below:
- You can update the firmware version on Fitbit Sense by following the instructions on this page.
- To update the firmware version on Fitbit Versa 3, please follow the instructions on this page.
- To update the firmware version on Fitbit Versa 2, please follow the instructions on this page.
- You may update the firmware on Fitbit Versa, by following the instructions from here.
- To update the firmware on Fitbit Versa lite edition, please follow the instructions here.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Helen Kurt is a geeky nerd who loves to cover the wearables space. She has over 5 years of experience in the smartwatch domain. You can reach her on email at [email protected].