Windows 11 has received a new upgraded version on 20th September 2022. Windows 11 version 22H2 becomes the latest operating system version. This version supersedes the Windows 11 original release version 21H2.
Windows 11 version 21H2 was released on 4th October 2021. Windows 11 version 22H2 seeks to become the latest Windows 11 version. The latest version should present itself on eligible systems that are running Windows 11 version 21H2. This is assuming that ‘Windows Update’ program is enabled on the system.
Eligible Windows 10 systems that are compatible with the hardware eligibility conditions for Windows 11 should get the Windows 11 version 22H2 in the Windows Update program.
- The original build for Windows 11 version 21H2 is the build number 22000.
- Windows 11 version 22H2 initiates the installation of build 22621.
- There have been a couple of subsequent updates to the Windows 11 version 22H2. As of 30th September 2022, Windows 11 version 22H2 will upgrade the build on your Windows 11 computer to 22621.608.
- KB5019311 and KB5017389 are the preview updates that have been released after the release of main version Windows 11 22H2.
Windows 11 version 22H2 vs Windows 11 version 21H2
What changed from Windows 11 version 21H2 to Windows 11 version 22H2? Microsoft has released a detailed blog with the description of intended changes on Windows 11 version 22H2. We look at the main performance factors on Windows 11 version 22H2.
At the macro level, you need to understand that Microsoft has made changes to Windows 11 version 22H2 for enhancing performance. There are four main aspects of improvements on Windows 11 version 22H2.
- Windows 11 version 22H2 update file has a lower size.
- Windows 11 version 22H2 optimizes the language packs that ship with the operating system.
- Windows 11 version 22H2 also changes that way .NET updates will be applied on the system going forward.
- Finally, Microsoft has changed the process of rolling out the cumulative updates for Windows 11.
Reduced size of the update file
Microsoft has altered the approach towards installing the latest version of Windows 11 version 22H2. Non-system apps on Windows 11 will no longer be downloaded as part of the Windows Update process automatically.
This has been done to reduce the download size of the Windows 11 installer or update file. Microsoft has claimed that it has reduced the download size of Windows 11 version 22H2.
- Download size of Windows 11 version 22H2 reduced by 450 MB.
- Disk space installation requirement reduced by 399 MB in the lab. However, diagnostic data suggests that Windows 11 version 22H2 reduced installation disk requirements by up to 2.8 GB in comparison with Windows 11 21H2 version.
Lesser number of Language Packs
Windows 11 version 21H2 shipped with 110 language packs. To reduce the size of language packs, Microsoft has reduced the number of language packs in Windows 11 version 22H2 from 110 to 88 language packs. Additionally, 43 LXP that ship as part of the language packs have been removed as part of Windows 11 version 22H2 installer files.
The optimization of language packs has enabled reduction of the LXP or language packs size by 500 MB for Windows 11 version 22H2.
UUP Updates for Windows 11 version 22H2
Unified Update Platform or the UUP updates will be used for applying updates to the non-system apps and .NET framework. This reduces the size of cumulative updates that get rolled out for Windows 11.
By combining the .NET framework update through UUP, Microsoft seeks to reduce the system offline time by 30 percent. UUP updates do not lead to system restart. Therefore, .NET framework updates will not lead to system reboot. By saving the reboot instance, the system offline time will reduce.
Faster and optimized Cumulative Update Rollouts
Cumulate update process is expected to become faster and more efficient because of a couple of changes that have been introduced in the rollout process for Windows 11 version 22H2.
- Cumulative updates, language packs and optional updates will be downloaded on a differential basis. If your system has a specific build already installed, only the incremental changes from that build will be downloaded as part of the update process.
- Rather than downloading multiple update files, a single combined update file is downloaded as part of the cumulative updates.
- The servicing stack update files manage the update cache files and store the cumulative update files. Efficient caching of the cumulative update files help in prevent download of cumulative updates on multiple times.
So, what do we gain with the revised update process and for Windows 11 version 22H2.
Performance Gains from Windows 11 version 22H2
There are some measurable gains that can be attributed to Microsoft’s revised approach towards updating to Windows 11 version 22H2.
- There has been a reduction in disk space requirements for Windows 11 version 22H2.
- The process of rolling out cumulative updates is faster.
- Installation or update to Windows 11 version 22H2 will take lesser time.
- There has been a reduction in the offline time for systems in Windows 11 version 22H2.
- Overall impact on processor of the Windows 11 system has also been reduced for Windows 11 version 22H2.
There are some compelling advancements that have been implemented in Windows 11 version 22H2. It remains to be seen how and when the Windows 11 version 22H2 updates become available for the eligible Windows 11 and Windows 10 systems.
You may like to read more content related to Windows 11 below:
- Can i7 run Windows 11?
- Upgrade to Windows 11 on unsupported computers
- How to check TPM version on your PC?
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Rajesh Dhawan is a technology professional who loves to blog about smart wearables, Cloud computing and Microsoft technologies. He loves to break complex problems into manageable chunks of meaningful information.