The latest firmware for the Garmin Forerunner 745 smartwatch is version 13. It was released on 12 July 2023. Within two days of the release, the firmware version 13 had been rolled out to all the eligible Forerunner 745 devices.
Since July 2023, there has been no new release of firmware for the Garmin Forerunner 745 series smartwatches.
Firmware 13 for Forerunner 745 – Changelog
- Fix a bug that in rare cases could lock up the device during PacePro activities.
- Improvements to altitude calibration error handling (Addresses reports of sudden elevation changes during an activity).
- Fix a crash when trying to view some Daily Suggested Workouts.
- Fix a rare issue where certain metrics like VO2 Max or Training Load may stop updating. Several activities may be required to obtain new metrics.
- Updates to bike camera support.
- Minor GPS improvement.
- Other bug fixes and improvements.
Install the firmware on Forerunner 745
Firmware updates for the Forerunner series watches are pushed out automatically by Garmin. These updates are released in a phased manner. Firmware version 13 was rolled out fully in July 2023.
The preference must be given to updating Garmin Forerunner through the Garmin Express application on your computer. If you do not have Garmin Express, there is an alternate option to install firmware updates through the Garmin Connect app on the smartphone.
Install software 13.00 on Forerunner using the Garmin Express application
- Garmin Express is a proprietary application that can be installed on any computer. It is available for Windows and macOS computers.
- Garmin Express for Windows or macOS computers can be downloaded from this page on the Garmin website.
- The Windows version of Garmin Express comes as an executable file of size 127 MB.
- The Mac version of Garmin Express comes as a .DMG file with a size of 55.5 MB.
- Once you have downloaded Garmin Express, you can install it on the computer by executing the file.
- Validate if Garmin Express is working cleanly. You will need to add your device to the Garmin Express application.
- Garmin Express helps in pulling firmware updates, map updates, Golf course updates and uploading your activities to the Garmin Connect app.
- Once you have linked your Forerunner 745 to the Garmin Express application, open the Garmin Express application.
- Connect your Forerunner 745 to the computer using a USB cable.
- Allow Garmin Express to validate the current firmware version on Forerunner 745. Allow it to pull the latest firmware version from the Garmin website.
- Once the software has been downloaded on the Garmin Express application, it gets pushed out to the connected Garmin Forerunner 745 device.
- This will initiate the firmware installation on your Forerunner 745 smartwatch.
- Please allow sometime for the firmware to be installed automatically on your Forerunner 745 device.
- You can verify if the latest firmware has been installed on the Forerunner 745 device by going to Settings —-> System and finding the firmware in the About Device section.
- Garmin Connect is an app that can be installed on the smartphone paired with the Forerunner 745 device.
- Garmin Connect for Android phones can be downloaded from the Google Play Store page for Garmin Connect.
- Garmin Connect for iOS devices can be downloaded from the Apple app store page for Garmin Connect.
- Install the Garmin Connect app on the smartphone paired with Forerunner 745. Once the app is installed, link Forerunner 745 with the Garmin Connect account.
- Do ensure that the Bluetooth connection between the Garmin Connect app and Forerunner 745 is good. Also, do ensure that you have adequate battery charge on the Forerunner 745 and paired smartphone for the firmware update process to complete flawlessly.
- Garmin Connect validates the current firmware version on your Forerunner 745 device. If a software update is available through the Garmin servers, Garmin Connect will download the firmware files from the Garmin servers automatically.
- After the software has been downloaded on the phone through the Garmin Connect app, it gets pushed out to the Forerunner 745 device over a Bluetooth connection.
- Once the firmware has been installed on the Forerunner 745, you can verify the current version of software or firmware by going to the Settings —-> System and About Device section on the watch. It would tell you the version of firmware installed on the Forerunner 745 smartwatch.
Battery drain after firmware upgrade
Some Forerunner 745 users may experience battery drain issues after firmware updates. This is a common issue. To resolve battery drain issues on a Forerunner 745, you may use the following two-step process below:
- Perform a soft reset of Forerunner 745 – Reboot your Forerunner 745 running watch to perform a soft reset of the watch. A soft reset is sufficient to resolve the battery drain issues on a Forerunner 745 device post a firmware update.
- Hard reset of factory reset – if a soft reset fails to resolve the battery drain issue, you may perform a hard reset or factory reset of the Forerunner 745 smartwatch. Factory reset will cause data loss. Therefore, we suggest backing up user data and smartwatch settings through the Garmin Connect app. After the factory reset, you can restore data and settings by syncing the device with the Garmin Connect app.
Can I rollback the firmware on Forerunner 745 device?
Firmware update on Forerunner 745 is an automatic process. You cannot roll back the firmware update or go to a previous version of firmware on the Forerunner 745 on your own.
For this, you require a manual process of reverting the firmware files to an earlier option. Sadly, the nature of automatic updates prevents the firmware from being rolled back automatically.
Doing a factory reset will also not be useful. As soon as the smartwatch will synchronize with the Garmin Connect app, it will pull the latest firmware version for the Garmin Forerunner 745 smartwatch.
Manual download of firmware for Forerunner 745
Manual download of firmware files for Forerunner 745 is no longer available through the Garmin website for the stable release firmware versions.
However, if you participate in the beta program of firmware updates, you can download the beta version of firmware updates for the Forerunner 745.
We strongly discourage manual upgrades of firmware for any Garmin smartwatch, including the Forerunner 745.
Forerunner 745 is currently on firmware version 13. The firmware update process is completely automated and the software update is sent to your device by Garmin automatically.
The last firmware update for Garmin Forerunner 745 happened in July 2023.
You may also like to read more content related to Forerunner watches below:
- Forerunner 255 vs Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
- Garmin Forerunner 255 vs Venu 2 Plus
- Garmin Forerunner watch with elite running
- Garmin Forerunner for Golf
You may be also interested in the software updates or firmware updates shared below:
- Garmin Forerunner 965 – Latest Firmware
- Garmin Forerunner 955 – Latest Firmware
- Garmin Forerunner 265 – Firmware 17.26
- Garmin Forerunner 945 – Latest Firmware
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?