Verizon has informed the Maine Attorney General’s Office about a data breach incident that impacted employee data in September 2023. We look at the details of this security breach below.
- Verizon has confirmed that the personal data of 63,206 employees was breached in a security incident.
- The said security incident took place in September 2023. The incident was detected in December 2023 as part of the audit trail.
- The data compromised seems to represent some of the current employees.
- The impacted Verizon employees are being offered free identity protection and credit monitoring services.
- The security incident qualifies as an insider threat with “inadvertent disclosure”. No malicious intent is detected behind the data breach.
There is not much known about the cause of this data breach.
What data was breached?
Verizon has confirmed the following in terms of the data breach:
- The data breach was caused because of an employee inappropriately handling the file containing personal information. No ill intent was found behind the data breach.
- The compromised data file contained the names, addresses, dates of birth, Social Security numbers, other national identifiers, gender details, union affiliation, and compensation information of the employees.
- Customer data has not been leaked or breached.
- Verizon believes that the leaked data has not been misused. The company has stated – “At this time, we have no evidence that this information has been misused or shared outside of Verizon as a result of this issue”.
- Verizon confirmed – “At this point, we have no reason to believe the information was improperly used or that it was shared outside of Verizon. There is no indication of malicious intent nor do we believe the information was shared externally,” Verizon’s spokesman said.”
- Verizon has also confirmed that instructions for identity protection and credit monitoring services enrollment will be delivered to the work email addresses of impacted employees.
Security analysts believe that this security incident is a perfect example of unintended access to the personal data.
Remediation of data breach
- The data breach happened on 21 September 2023.
- It was detected on 12 December 2023.
- Post-investigation into the security incident, Verizon is working on improving technical and security controls within its infrastructure to improve data and personal information security. The company stated – “We are working to ensure our technical controls are enhanced to help prevent this type of situation from reoccurring and are notifying applicable regulators about the matter.”
- For the affected employees, Verizon has already offered free credit monitoring services.
Verizon Communications was formed in 2000 and is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services.
Headquartered in New York City and with a presence around the world, Verizon generated revenues of $134.0 billion in 2023. The company offers voice, data and video services and solutions on its award-winning networks and platforms, delivering on customers’ demand for mobility, reliable network connectivity and security.
Related Security Stories
- 2 Critical Vulnerabilities reported by Fortinet
- AnyDesk Cyberattack incident – February 2024
- Cloudflare Data Breach – November 2023
- Ivanti VPN Vulnerabilities – Jan 2024
- Mercedes Source Code Leak – Jan 2024
- Schneider Electric Ransomware attack – Jan 2024
- Android Security Update – Feb 2024
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Rajesh Dhawan is a technology professional who loves to blog about smart wearables, Cloud computing and Microsoft technologies. He loves to break complex problems into manageable chunks of meaningful information.