Garmin has released a beta software update for Venu 2 Plus smartwatches on July 6th, 2022. The latest beta firmware update version is 10.12. It will supersede the stable release firmware version 9.17 for Venu 2 Plus smartwatch. We look at the key aspects of the firmware update for Venu 2 Plus.
Salient points about Beta firmware update 10.12 for Venu 2 Plus smartwatch
- The beta software 10.12 will supersede stable release firmware version 9.17 on Garmin Venu 2 Plus smartwatch.
- Beta software 10.12 can be applied to Garmin Venu 2 Plus smartwatch manually.
- Beta software 10.12 resolves bugs and brings in performance improvements over the previous stable release firmware version 9.17.
- Beta software on Garmin Venu 2 Plus will give you a prelude to the new stable release version for Garmin Venu 2 Plus.
- There is no compulsion for you to update the firmware on Venu 2 Plus with the beta software version 10.12.
- We do suggest waiting for the next stable release firmware to be released for Venu 2 Plus, unless you are experiencing one of the issues that affects Venu 2 Plus smartwatch.
- Stable release firmware updates on Venu 2 Plus can be applied automatically through the Garmin Express or Garmin Connect app.
How to install Beta Software 10.12 on Venu 2 Plus?
Beta software 10.12 can be deployed on Venu 2 Plus manually. Here is how you can update the firmware manually:
- Connect Garmin Venu 2 Plus to your computer through the USB cable. The cable is provided as part of the Venu 2 Plus product dispatch.
- You need to download the beta firmware version 10.12 for Venu 2 Plus from this link. This is a zip file and has a size of 55.61 MB.
- If you wish to read more about the firmware download, you can refer Garmin Venu 2 Plus page for beta software update version 10.12.
- Extract the zip file on your computer. You will get 3 files – GUPDATE.GCD, GUPDATE_917.GCD and readme.txt with a set of instructions for firmware update.
- Copy the file GUPDATE.GCD to /GARMIN/ folder on your computer.
- At this point, disconnect the Venu 2 Plus from the computer. Allow the firmware version 10.12 to apply on the Venu 2 Plus smartwatch.
Upon successful completion of beta firmware 10.12 on Venu 2 Plus, your device will show the latest version software on the Venu 2 Plus.
How can I rollback beta firmware 10.12 to stable release firmware 9.17 on Venu 2 Plus smartwatch?
Beta firmware 10.12 can be downgraded to previous firmware release version 9.17. To do, this follow the process below:
- Connect the Venu 2 Plus to your computer through a USB cable.
- From the extracted folder of firmware update, copy the file GUPDATE_917.GCD to /GARMIN/ folder on your computer.
- Once the firmware file has been successfully copied to /GARMIN/ folder, disconnect the Venu 2 Plus smartwatch from the computer.
- Allow the firmware on Venu 2 Plus to degrade from beta software update version 10.12 to firmware version 9.17.
- When you rollback the firmware on the Garmin Venu 2 Plus smartwatch, the settings on your smartwatch will reset to default.
What issues are resolved in beta firmware 10.12 for Garmin Venu 2 Plus smartwatch?
The beta firmware update 10.12 will supersede stable release firmware 9.17 on Garmin Venu 2 Plus. As part of the firmware update process, the following issues have been fixed:
- Fixed a bug where a WiFi download could cause a crash
- Fixed a bug where a crash could occur when ending a strength workout on a jog step
- Fixed a bug that could cause high battery drain
- Added the ability to tap volume sliders directly to change volume percentage
- Fixed an issue where the Mute All volume option could pause music playing on a phone
The issue with battery drain is a significant improvement for Venu 2 Plus smartwatch. If your Venu 2 Plus has been experiencing abnormal battery drain, you may consider deploying the beta firmware update version 10.12 on the Garmin Venu 2 Plus smartwatch. The issue with strength workouts is another important fix in the beta software update for Venu 2 Plus.
Garmin Venu 2 Plus can be updated manually with the latest firmware update 10.12. The process of firmware update requires you to copy the firmware file manually to the computer folder that contains Garmin Venu 2 Plus files.
However, for most Venu 2 Plus users, it may not be a bad idea to wait for the next stable release firmware version to be released by Garmin. Stable release firmware has been adequately tested before being rolled out to all the devices. Stable release firmware is a lot easier to be deployed on the Venu 2 Plus smartwatch as you can install the firmware directly through the Garmin Express application or the Garmin Connect app.
You may also like to read more about Garmin Venu 2 series smartwatches below:
- Garmin Forerunner 255 vs Venu 2 Plus
- Venu 2S vs Forerunner 255S Music Garmin watches
- Garmin Forerunner 955 vs Venu 2 Plus
- Garmin Venu 2 Plus – FAQs
Rajesh Dhawan is a technology professional who loves to blog about smart wearables, Cloud computing and Microsoft technologies. He loves to break complex problems into manageable chunks of meaningful information.