Windows 11’s taskbar and Start menu can be restored to the Windows 10 type classic taskbar and Start menu. Microsoft has changed the user interface settings on Windows 11. A lot of these changes have been brought about to give a sleeker look to the Windows 11 operating system. And, the underlying cause for these changes is also linked to attempts to enhance the performance of Windows 11 computers. Memory space conservation is one of the chief benefits of some features, like grouping of the taskbar icons.
Can I change the Start menu on Windows 11 to Windows 10 types?
Yes, you can change the look and feel of the Start menu on Windows 11 to look like the classic Windows 10 start menu. Unfortunately, off the box, Windows 11 does not allow you any option to change the Start menu appearance. It is not possible through the registry, group policy editor or any other Windows 11 setting.
However, there are third party tools that would allow you to work with the Windows 10 like Start menu on a Windows 11 computer. Needless to say, if you work in tight security environments, it is likely that you may not be allowed to install the third party tools to alter the look, feel and design of Windows 11.
For other users, who have full control over their Windows 11, we do have two great options that can alter the way you perceive, use and feel the graphical user interface on a Windows 11 computer.
Start11 is one of the most used apps for restoring Windows 10 like Start menu and taskbar on the Windows 11 computer. It costs $5.99 for a single install. The app can be downloaded directly from the website of Stardoc, the developers of Start11.
Start11 offers options to use a Windows 10 or Windows 7 like Start menu on a Windows 11 computer. You can place the Windows 10 Start menu in the middle of the screen or on the left side of the screen. You can alternatively use the classic Windows 7 style Start menu. Option to pick and choose the Start menu type is offered through the Start11 app.
On a similar basis, some users of Windows 11 are not comfortable with the new taskbar design. Specifically speaking, people have had issues with the grouped taskbar icons. This causes an incremental number of clicks to use the volume settings on a Windows 11 computer. Many of us have been using personal computers since ages. An altered behavior on the taskbar icons is a significant behavioral change for such long time users of the Windows operating system.
Start11 enhances the taskbar functionality of a Windows 11 computer. It will allow you to place the taskbar on the top or bottom of the Windows 11 screen. Start11 will also help you to change the size of the taskbar icons, a feature that is missing on the Windows 11 operating system.
Here is all that you can achieve using the Start11 app on a Windows 11 computer:
- Get a Windows 10 or Windows 7 like Start menu.
- You can move the Start menu to the left or keep it centered as a default option.
- Change size of the icons on Windows 11 taskbar.
- Allow the taskbar on Windows 11 to be moved to the top or bottom of the screen. You cannot move the taskbar to left or right side of the screen though.
- You cannot add a date, time or clock through Start11 on the secondary monitor. This feature is missing in Windows 11, and multi-monitor setups have issues with no date or time on the secondary display monitor.
Start11 is a robust app that has been around for a while. For $5.99, Start11 allows you to make use of Windows 11 in the same way that you have been habitual of on a Windows 10 computer. Since this is a third party app, the overall experience will vary on the security and environment of your Windows 11 install. As always, pay special attention to the need of installing third party apps on a Windows 11 computer to alter the basic functionality of the operating system.
As a general rule, I do not install any third party app on an operating system to alter visual or functional approach of the operating system.
StartAllBack is another third party app that offers mitigation of the altered designs of the Start menu and taskbar on a Windows 11 computer. It costs $4.99. StartAllBack is quite similar in functionality to the Start11 app.
Here is a whole list of alterations that can be carried out on a Windows 11 computer using the StartAppBack:
- You can change the Start menu on Windows 11 to look like Windows 10 or Windows 7 using the StartAllBack app.
- You can move the Start menu on Windows 11 to the left part of the screen.
- Taskbar icons can be resized using the StartAllBack app.
- The taskbar can be moved to the top or left or right part of the screen. This is potential improvement over the Start11 because Start11 does not allow the taskbar to be moved to either side of the screen.
- You can change the colors on the Windows 11 user interface from the default colors.
- You can change the label on the icons on the taskbar.
- You can also re-size the icons on the taskbar.
- You wont be able to add date or time to the secondary monitor through the StartAllBack app.
Between Start11 and StartAllBack, you can’t go wrong with either of these two apps. The cost of both apps is insignificant for the productivity gains that would accrue from the use of any of these apps for backward compatibility with Start menu and the taskbar appearance and features.
Most people are habitual of working on Windows 7 and Windows 10 like user interface on the personal computers. Design changes on Windows 11 graphical user interface has caused behavioral changes of computer users. Many users are finding it difficult to work with the new design of the Windows 11 Start menu and taskbar. Start11 and StartAllBack seek to fill in the gaps and provide backward compatibility with the Windows 10 or Windows 7 like Start menu and taskbar.
Both apps cost trivial money. But, these apps can definitely help improve productivity through the classic style Start menu and taskbar.
You may also like to read the following related content for Windows 11:
- Disable OneDrive pictures from Photo app on Windows 11
- Apple AirPods soft sound after Windows 11 update
- Windows 11 widgets not working
- How to remove the mica effect from Windows 11
- No sound issue after Windows 11 update
- Improve Battery Life on Windows 11
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Rajesh Dhawan is a technology professional who loves to blog about smart wearables, Cloud computing and Microsoft technologies. He loves to break complex problems into manageable chunks of meaningful information.