Microsoft released an upgrade for the Edge browser on 24 January 2024. The latest stable version of Microsoft Edge is 121.0.2277.83. We are now on build 121 of the Microsoft Edge browser.
- Microsoft Edge stable channel version 121.0.2277.83 supersedes stable channel version 120.0.2210.160. The last update on the Edge browser took place on 17 January 2024.
- Edge version 121.0.2277.83 corresponds to the latest Chrome version 121.0.6167.85/.86. Chrome was updated on 16 January 2024.
- The latest update contains a fix for 17 security vulnerabilities in the Chrome engine or the Chromium project. 11 of these vulnerabilities were uncovered by external researchers.
The current update for Edge for Windows 121.0.2277.83 has a fix for 17 security vulnerabilities. 11 of these 17 threats were uncovered by external researchers. A brief description of each of these four vulnerabilities is given below.
17 security vulnerabilities in the Chromium project have been addressed in the latest Chromium version. The details of the threats are given below.
|Use after free in WebAudio
|Inappropriate implementation in Accessibility
|Integer underflow in WebUI
|Insufficient policy enforcement in DevTools
|Incorrect security UI in Payments
|Use after free in Reading Mode
|Use after free in Passwords
|Inappropriate implementation in Downloads
|Insufficient policy enforcement in iOS Security UI
|Inappropriate implementation in Extensions API
|Inappropriate implementation in Autofill
There are 7 Edge specific vulnerabilities that are resolved in Edge version 121.0.2277.83. We have listed 6 of these vulnerabilities below:
|Elevation of Privilege
|Elevation of Privilege
Feature updates in Edge 121.0.2277.83
The following feature updates are part of the Edge 121.0.2277.83 version:
- Enable organizational branding in Edge for Business. Enable your organization’s branding assets from Entra onto profile-related UI for profiles signed in with an Entra ID (formerly known as Azure Active Directory) account.
- Microsoft Edge migrates the updates experience into Browser Essentials. Getting alerts on available Edge Updates will come from Browser Essentials instead of the Settings page for better visibility and experience.
- Added support for AVIF and AV1 file formats. Microsoft Edge now supports the AVIF and AV1 file formats which offer better compression and higher quality images and videos.
- E-tree in Wallet. Users signed into Microsoft Edge with a personal Microsoft Account (MSA) can grow a virtual seed into a tree with Wallet.
- New Website Typo Protection policies. The built-in Website Typo Protection warns users if it appears there is a mistyped popular domain name which could land users on a malicious webpage.
Policy updates in Edge 121.0.2277.83
The following new policy updates are applicable for the Edge version 121.0.2277.83:
- EdgeDisableDialProtocolForCastDiscovery – Disable DIAL protocol for cast device discovery
- NativeHostsExecutablesLaunchDirectly – Force Windows executable Native Messaging hosts to launch directly
- RelatedWebsiteSetsEnabled – Enable Related Website Sets
- RelatedWebsiteSetsOverrides – Override Related Website Sets
- PreventTyposquattingPromptOverride – Prevent bypassing Edge Website Typo Protection prompts for sites
- TyposquattingAllowListDomains – Configure the list of domains for which Edge Website Typo Protection won’t trigger warnings
- EdgeBlockSignInEnabled – Block users from signing in to Edge
- ExperimentationAndConfigurationServiceControl – Control communication with the Experimentation and Configuration Service
The following policies have become obsolete:
- SendMouseEventsDisabledFormControlsEnabled – Control the new behavior for event dispatching on disabled form controls
- WebRtcAllowLegacyTLSProtocols – Allow legacy TLS/DTLS downgrade in WebRTC (obsoleted)
Install the latest version of Edge
The latest version of Microsoft Edge 121.0.2277.83 can be installed automatically. For this, you can close the browser and open it again. This should force Edge to pull the latest updated version.
Edge can also be updated manually. You can download the offline installer file for Microsoft Edge from the Microsoft Update Catalog site.
The direct download links for Edge version 121.0.2277.83 are shared below:
- Download Edge 121.0.2277.83 for x86 Windows version – the size of the .cab file is 153.3 MB.
- Download Edge 121.0.2277.83 for ARM64 Windows version – the size of the .cab file is 168.3 MB.
- Download Edge 121.0.2277.83 for the x64 Windows version – the size of the .cab file is 172 MB.
How to check the current Microsoft Edge version?
You can check the Microsoft Edge version installed on your system by following the instructions below:
- In your Microsoft Edge browser, click on the 3 dots (…) on the very right-hand side of the window
- Click on Help and Feedback
- Click on About Microsoft Edge
- This should give you the Microsoft Edge version on the system
The current update is being rolled out to the eligible systems.
If you restart the Microsoft Edge browser, your browser should automatically pick the latest version x from the Microsoft Servers.
January 2024 Cumulative Updates
The following cumulative updates for January 2024 are available:
- KB5034119 Cumulative Update for Windows Server 2016
- KB5034127 Cumulative Update for Windows Server 2019
- KB5034129 Cumulative Update for Windows Server 2022
- KB5034130 for Windows Server 2022 23H2 edition
- KB5034171 Monthly Rollup (ESU) for Windows Server 2012 R2
- KB5034184 Monthly Rollup Update (ESU) for Windows Server 2012
- KB5034121 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 21H2
- KB5034123 for Windows 11 22H2 and 23H2
- KB5034134 for Windows 10 – Jan 2024
- KB5034119 for Windows 10 version 1607
- KB5034127 for Windows 10 version 1809
December 2023 Cumulative or Security Updates
- KB5033371 for Windows 10 version 1809
- KB5033373 for Windows 10 version 1607
- KB5033379 for Windows 10
- KB5033372 for Windows 10 21H2 and 22H2
- KB5033375 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 22H2 and 23H2
- KB5033369 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 21H2
- KB5033420 Monthly Rollup Update for Windows Server 2012 R2
- KB5033429 Monthly Rollup Update for Windows Server 2012
- KB5033383 Cumulative Update for Windows Server 2022
- KB5033118 Cumulative Update for Windows Server 2022
- KB5033371 Cumulative Update for Windows Server 2019
- KB5033373 Cumulative Update for Windows Server 2016
- Microsoft Edge upgrades to version 120.0.2210.61
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Rajesh Dhawan is a technology professional who loves to blog about smart wearables, Cloud computing and Microsoft technologies. He loves to break complex problems into manageable chunks of meaningful information.