Microsoft Edge build 118 received an update on 27 October 2023. The latest Microsoft Edge build is 118. The latest stable version of Microsoft Edge is version 118.0.2088.76 released on 27 October 2023.
- Microsoft Edge update on 27 October 2023 is a security update.
- The latest security update is based on Chromium project version 118.0.5993.117/.118.
- It supersedes Microsoft Edge Stable Channel version 118.0.2088.46. This update addressed vulnerabilities reported in the Chromium project. The update was released on 13 October 2023.
- The current Microsoft Edge build addresses a security vulnerability CVE-2023-44323. This is a Remote Code Execution vulnerability.
- The latest build of Microsoft Edge also resolves a vulnerability CVE-2023-5472 reported in the Chromium project earlier.
The details of both vulnerabilities fixed in Microsoft Edge build 118 are shared below.
Microsoft Edge build 118.1.2088.76 addresses two security vulnerabilities. This security update is a follow-up update to the monthly security update for Edge released on 4 October. Another security update was released on 13 October 2023.
CVE-2023-5472 – Use after free in Profiles
This security vulnerability was reported in the Chromium browser project on 10 October 2023. It was patched for Microsoft Edge through the security update released on 27 October 2023.
CVE-2023-44323 – Remote Code Execution
This ‘Remote Code Execution’ affects Adobe Acrobat for Microsoft Edge. It is a direct fallout of the ‘Use after free’ vulnerability that remained unpatched in Microsoft Edge.
Adobe Acrobat for Edge version 118.0.2088.46 (and earlier) is affected by a Use After Free vulnerability. An unauthenticated attacker could leverage this vulnerability to achieve an application denial-of-service in the context of the current user. Exploitation of this issue requires user interaction in that a victim must open a malicious file.
The current security update takes Microsoft Edge to 118.0.2088.76 and resolves the ‘Use after free’ vulnerability and the Adobe Acrobat vulnerability as well.
The severity of CVE-2023-44323 is moderate. The CVSS score for CVE-2023-44323 is 5.5.
How to check current Microsoft Edge version?
You can check the Microsoft Edge version installed on your system by following the instructions below:
- In your Microsoft Edge browser, click on the 3 dots (…) on the very right-hand side of the window
- Click on Help and Feedback
- Click on About Microsoft Edge
- This should give you the Microsoft Edge version on the system
The current update is being rolled out to the eligible systems.
If you restart the Microsoft Edge browser, your browser should automatically pick the latest version 118.0.2088.76 from the Microsoft Servers.
Download Microsoft Edge 118.0.2088.76
For a manual upgrade, please use the link below to download the offline installer for Microsoft Edge version 118.0.2088.76.
- Download Microsoft Edge Stable Channel version 118.0.2088.76 for x64 systems – the size of this .cab file is 160.7 MB.
- Download Microsoft Edge Stable Channel version 118.0.2088.76 for x86 systems – the size of this .cab file is 151.1 MB.
- Download Microsoft Edge WebView2 Runtime version 118.0.2088.76 for x64 systems – the size of this .exe file is 164.8 MB.
- Download Microsoft Edge WebView2 Runtime version 118.0.2088.76 for x64 systems – the size of this .exe file is 155.4 MB.
October 2023 Security Updates
You may be interested in reading more about security updates released by Microsoft in October 2023:
- KB5030333 SQL Server 2019 Cumulative Update 23
- KB5029378 SQL Server 2019 Cumulative Update 22 GDR
- KB5029503 SQL Server 2022 CU 8 Cumulative Update
- Windows 10 – KB5031377 Cumulative Update
- Windows 10 version 1809 – KB5031361
- Windows 10 version 1607 – KB5031362
- KB5031358 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 version 21H2
- KB5029377 Security Update for SQL Server 2019 GDR
- KB5031354 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 version 22H2
- KB5031356 for Windows 10 versions 21H2 and 22H2
- KB5031901 Update for .NET 7.0
- KB5031407 Security Update for Windows Server 2012 R2
- KB5031427 Security Update for Windows Server 2012
- KB5031419 Monthly Rollup for Windows Server 2012 R2
- KB5031442 Monthly Rollup Update for Windows Server 2012
- KB5031364 Cumulative Update for Windows Server 2022
- KB5031362 Cumulative Update for Windows Server 2016
- KB5031361 Cumulative Update for Windows Server 2019
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Rajesh Dhawan is a technology professional who loves to blog about smart wearables, Cloud computing and Microsoft technologies. He loves to break complex problems into manageable chunks of meaningful information.