Garmin released new firmware for Fenix 7 devices on 10th October 2023. The latest firmware version fixes bugs and brings in new product improvements for all the 8 device models of Garmin Fenix 7.
This post was updated on 28 November 2023.
Firmware 14.68 for Fenix 7
The firmware version 14.68 was released on 10 October 2023. The firmware version 14.68 for Fenix 7 has already been released to all the eligible Fenix 7 devices.
Firmware 14.68 for Fenix 7 – Bug fixes
Garmin has reported the following improvements and bug fixes as part of the firmware update 14.68 for Fenix 7 smartwatches:
- Fixed a potential crash when syncing with the phone.
- Fixed a potential issue with the inability to sync after pairing to Garmin Express.
- Fixed issue where Body Battery was incorrectly written to some activities.
- Fixed possible issues with the Thai language.
- Fixed possible UI issue with the music player.
- Fixed potential shutdown in plan overview for a primary race.
- Fixed some translation issues.
- Fixes and improvements to the music player.
Install the latest firmware on Fenix 7
Software updates or firmware updates for Fenix 7 smartwatches are rolled out by Garmin automatically. You can use the Garmin Express application or the Garmin Connect app on your mobile phone for the firmware update.
Install firmware using Garmin Connect app
The Garmin Connect app is available for iOS and Android mobile devices. It forms an interface between the smartphone and the Garmin Fenix 7 smartwatch.
Fenix 7 firmware can be installed automatically using the Garmin Connect app.
The Garmin Connect app (on your paired smartphone) is more comfortable as it can fetch updates from Garmin servers whenever the files are available for your device. The firmware update can be sent to the Fenix 7 smartwatch through the Bluetooth connection between your phone and watch.
You can follow the instructions below to install the latest Fenix 7 firmware on the smartwatch using Garmin Connect app:
- Ensure good Bluetooth connectivity between the smartphone and Fenix 7 smartwatch.
- Ensure adequate battery charge levels on the smartphone and Fenix 7.
- If Garmin Connect is running on the smartphone, it will check for the latest firmware and download the software update files onto the smartphone.
- As and when the smartwatch comes with good Bluetooth connectivity with the smartphone, the firmware files get pushed out to the smartwatch.
- On your Fenix 7 watch, you will need to approve the firmware upgrade to complete the process.
Install the firmware using Garmin Express
Garmin Express is a PC based application. This application can pull the firmware files from Garmin servers as and when the update is made available for your device. When you connect your Fenix 7 device to the PC using a USB C cable, Garmin Express identifies the device model.
Garmin Express, subsequently, tries to pull the latest software update from Garmin servers. Once the update has been downloaded to your computer, the files are pushed out to the Fenix 7 device that is connected to the computer.
To perform a firmware update through the Garmin Express application, please follow the process below:
- You can connect your Fenix 7 smartwatch to a computer with a USB cable.
- Launch the Garmin Express application
- Garmin Express identifies the device and fetches a firmware update, if available.
- The latest firmware update files are downloaded to your computer.
- The files get pushed out to the Fenix 7 device automatically.
- You will need to disconnect the Fenix 7 from the computer and approve the firmware installation on the smartwatch.
Firmware 14.68 battery drain issues
Some Fenix 7 owners have reported excessive battery drain after implementing firmware 14.68 on Fenix 7. Some device owners have reported over 25% battery usage in a day. The usual average is 3-10% every day.
The battery drain issue on Fenix 7 is common after the firmware upgrade. The good thing is that it can be resolved easily using one of the following processes:
- Soft reset of Fenix 7 – reboot the Fenix 7 smartwatch to perform a soft reset. A soft reset of Fenix 7 can easily resolve most battery drain issues.
- Hard reset or factory reset of Fenix 7 – if a soft reset fails to resolve battery drain issues, you can perform a hard reset or factory reset of Fenix 7. Before doing a factory reset, please do understand that you will lose user data and user settings on the smartwatch. Therefore, we suggest that you sync your settings and data with the Garmin Connect app. This will help to restore data after completing the factory reset.
Firmware 14.68 Fenix 7 crashes after upgrade
There have been many user-reported issues of the Fenix 7 watch crashing randomly. This issue occurred after the firmware on Fenix 7 was updated to version 14.68.
Garmin is aware of this issue in firmware 14.68 and is working on a fix in the next software release. You can follow this issue and user complaints on the Garmin forums.
Firmware 14.68 for Garmin Fenix 7 models
The latest software update is available for all the eight device models of Garmin Fenix smartwatches, as mentioned below:
- Fenix 7
- Fenix 7S
- Fenix 7 Solar
- Fenix 7S Solar
- Fenix 7 Sapphire Solar
- Fenix 7S Sapphire Solar
- Fenix 7X Solar
- Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar
Fenix 7 firmware update history
- Fenix 7 firmware version 13.22 released in May 2023
- Fenix 7 firmware version 11.2 released in February 2023
- Fenix 7 firmware version 9.37 released on 18th October 2022
- Fenix 7 firmware version 9.36 released in September 2022
- Fenix 7 firmware version released in August 2022 – 9.33
Check the firmware version on Fenix 7
A successful firmware update on Fenix 7 can be checked through the watch screen by following the steps below:
- Hold MENU.
- Select System
- Select About.
The about section on the watch shows the latest firmware version that is deployed on the watch. In our case, we are looking at software version 14.68 for Fenix 7 smartwatches.
It may be pertinent to mention that the Garmin Fenix 7 firmware cannot be rolled back. So, deploying the firmware in a proper way is important for a hassle free firmware update experience.
You may like to read more about Fenix 7 smartwatches below:
- Fenix 7 Battery drain after firmware update
- Apple Watch 8 vs Garmin Fenix 7
- Garmin Fenix 7 Software Update version 9.33 – released 23rd August 2022
- Is Fenix 7 Solar worth it?
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?