The latest firmware version for Garmin Epix 2 is firmware version 9.36. This software update was released on 24th September 2022 and replaces firmware version 9.33. Firmware 9.33 was released in August 2022.
The current stable release firmware version 9.36 for Epix 2 seeks to bring in the following issue fixes and improvements:
- Fixed issue causing increased battery drain when using large Strava segments.
- Fixed issue that could cause inaccuracies in the reported primary benefit for Training Effect.
- Fixed issue causing Golf to sometimes not advance to the next hole automatically.
- Fixed issue where long activities were causing the watch to behave poorly.
- Fixed potential inaccuracies in the Race Time Predictions.
- Fixed potential issue with Daily Suggested Workout plan overview.
However, the latest firmware version 9.36 seems to have caused battery drain issues on the Epix 2 for some users. Some Epix 2 device owners are experiencing battery drain in 6-7 days.
Garmin Epix 2 has an extended battery life of 14-16 days. You may read more about the battery drain issue on Epix 2 devices in the section below.
How to update the firmware on Epix 2 smartwatch?
Epix 2 devices get the firmware update automatically. The software is pushed out to the eligible devices. Garmin Express or Garmin Connect are then used to fetch the update and install on the paired or connected Epix 2 device.
Manual update or rollback of firmware on Epix 2 smartwatches is not possible.
Since the firmware release is totally controlled by Garmin, the entire firmware update cycle is managed in a phased manner. As of writing this, the firmware version 9.36 for Epix 2 has been rolled out to 70 percent of eligible devices. The other 30% devices should, in all likelihood, receive the latest software update over the next couple of weeks.
Update firmware on Epix 2 using Garmin Express application
Garmin Express is a PC application that is available for Windows and Mac computers. You can download the Garmin Express application for Windows or Mac computers from the following links:
Once Garmin Express application is loaded and installed on the computer, connect your Epix 2 device to the computer with the USB cable. Let Garmin Express identify the device model.
Once Garmin Express has identified the variant and device information, it will pull the latest firmware from the Garmin servers. The update is eventually pushed out to the connected Epix 2 device.
Update firmware on Epix 2 using Garmin Connect
Garmin Connect remains a more comfortable choice for updating firmware on Epix 2. Garmin Connect is Garmin’s app that is available for Android and iOS devices.
Garmin Connect can be downloaded from the Google Play Store for Android devices. Garmin Connect for iPhone can be downloaded from the Apple app store.
Once Garmin Connect is installed on the smartphone paired with Epix 2, it will look for the latest firmware files for Epix 2. If the latest firmware has been made available for your Epix 2, Garmin Connect will pull the files from Garmin servers.
Through the Bluetooth paired connection, Garmin Connect is able to push the firmware from the phone to the Epix 2 smartwatch.
In both cases, your device will get the latest firmware only if the firmware has been made available for your device.
Battery drain issue on Garmin Epix 2 after firmware update to version 9.36?
Some Epix 2 device owners have been experiencing significant battery drain after implementing firmware 9.36 on the device. We are talking about the battery completely draining out in 24-48 hours. Others are experiencing battery drain within 3 to 4 days.
Garmin has confirmed that this is a bug on the Epix 2 for firmware version 9.36. The developers are working on providing a fix for Epix 2 devices that are affected by significant battery drain.
While we wait for a fix in one of the future releases of firmware, you may use the steps below to try and get the battery drain issue resolved:
- reboot the Epix 2 smartwatch
- if reboot of Epix 2 does not resolve the issue, do a hard reset of the Epix 2 smartwatch.
- if the hard reset fails to resolve the issue, you can do a factory reset of the watch.
To do a factory reset on Epix 2, you can undertake the following steps:
- From the watch face, hold MENU.
- Select System > Reset.
For factory reset, you will need to select the option that states –Delete Data and Reset Settings.
Factory reset of the watch will cause data loss. So, we suggest that you must sync all the activity data from Epix 2 to the Garmin Connect app.
If this does not resolve the issue, we suggest contacting Garmin support for the latest update on the battery drain issue after the deployment of firmware 9.36 on Epix 2.
Rajesh Dhawan is a technology professional who loves to blog about smart wearables, Cloud computing and Microsoft technologies. He loves to break complex problems into manageable chunks of meaningful information.