KB5030287 is the standalone security-only update for Windows Server 2012 R2. It was released on 12th September 2023 as part of the ‘Patch Tuesday’ project.
- KB5030287 is a standalone security update. For full security coverage, you will need to deploy all the previous security updates for Windows Server 2012 R2.
- KB5030287 was preceded by KB5029304 security update. KB5029304 was released in August 2023.
- We strongly suggest preferring the KB5030269 monthly rollup update over the security update KB503287. This is because monthly rollup updates are cumulative in nature and security updates are standalone updates.
- A new Servicing Stack Update KB5030329 has been released for Windows Server 2012 R2 on 12th September 2023.
- KB5030329 Servicing Stack Update will need to be deployed prior to installing KB5030287 security-only update.
- A new cumulative update for Internet Explorer has also been released. KB5030209 is the cumulative update for Internet Explorer. You will need to deploy it for full security coverage on Windows Server 2012 R2.
- There are 13 security vulnerabilities that have been disclosed for Windows Server 2012 R2 as part of the September month’s security bulletin.
- None of the security vulnerabilities affecting Windows Server 2012 R2 are ‘CRITICAL’ in nature.
- There are no zero-day threats that affect Windows Server 2012 R2 as per the September 2023 security report.
- The issue with language packs on Windows Server 2012 R2 continues to affect the services. If you install a language pack after deploying KB5030287, you will need to redeploy the security update KB5030287. Language pack installation renders the security update infructuous.
You can install KB5030287 using the WSUS or Windows Server Update Service.
KB5030287 cannot be installed using the Windows Update process.
For manual deployment of KB5030287 on Windows Server 2012 R2, you will need to follow a three-step process:
- Download and install Servicing Stack Update KB5030329
- Download and install the cumulative update for Internet Explorer KB5030209
- Download and install the security update KB5030287
These update files can be downloaded from the Microsoft Update Catalog site. Or, you could use the direct download links for each offline installer file that has been shared below.
Download Servicing Stack Update KB5030329
The size of the KB5030329 SSU file is 10.5 MB. It may be pertinent to mention that the Servicing Stack Updates do not cause server reboots.
Download Cumulative Update for Internet Explorer 11
The size of the update file for KB5030209 is 55 MB. The cumulative update for Internet Explorer 11 will need a reboot to be effective.
Download KB5030287 Security Update
The size of the update file for KB5030287 is 33.3 MB. The security update will cause the server to reboot. So, please deploy the security updates as part of an organized change management process.
There are 13 security vulnerabilities that have been disclosed for Windows Server 2012 R2 in the September 2023 security report released by Microsoft.
None of these vulnerabilities have a ‘CRITICAL’ impact on the server. And, there are no zero-day threats that affect Windows Server 2012 R2.
We have not shared any vulnerabilities on account of the reasons explained above.
The following changes or improvements are part of the KB5030287 security update for Windows Server 2012 R2:
- The renaming of local temporary user policy files during Group Policy processing might cause registry settings under Policies related paths to be deleted.
- The LanmanServer Service might crash in clusters that do not have an Administrative Access Point, also known as AD-Detached Clusters. Using AD-Detached Clusters is recommended by Exchange on some versions of Windows. For more information, see Database availability groups.
- Authentication to join or re-join a computer to an Active Directory domain might fail when a user uses a Smart Card. This issue might occur after you install Windows Updates dated on or after November 2022.
- This update includes changes to Israel daylight saving time (DST).
For more details, you can refer to the Microsoft release document for KB5030287 on this page.
September 2023 Security Updates by Microsoft
You may also like to read more about security updates shared below:
- KB5030287 Security Update for Windows Server 2012 R2
- KB5030278 Monthly Rollup Update for Windows Server 2012
- KB5030269 Monthly Rollup for Windows Server 2012 R2
- KB5030216 Cumulative Update for Windows Server 2022
- KB5030213 Cumulative Update for Windows Server 2016
- KB5030214 Cumulative Update for Windows Server 2019
- KB5030279 Security Update for Windows Server 2012
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Rajesh Dhawan is a technology professional who loves to blog about smart wearables, Cloud computing and Microsoft technologies. He loves to break complex problems into manageable chunks of meaningful information.