KB5030278 is the cumulative monthly rollup update for Windows Server 2012 for the month of September 2023. The update was released on 12th September 2023 under the ‘Patch Tuesday’ project of Microsoft.
- KB5030278 is a cumulative update that supersedes KB5029295. KB5029295 was released in August 2023. You can read more about KB5029295 on this page.
- KB5030278 also includes all the changes that are part of the security update KB5030279 for Windows Server 2012.
- We strongly recommend installing or preferring KB5030278 instead of the KB5030279 security update. This is because the monthly rollup updates are cumulative in nature. Security-only updates are standalone updates.
- A new Servicing Stack Update has also been released for Windows Server 2012 on 12th September 2012.
- Before deploying KB5030278, please install the latest Servicing Stack Update KB5030330 on Windows Server 2012.
- There are 12 security vulnerabilities that have been disclosed for Windows Server 2012 as part of the September month’s security bulletin released by Microsoft.
- There are no CRITICAL vulnerabilities on Windows Server 2012 as per the September security bulletin.
- There are no zero-day threats that affect Windows Server 2012 as per the September security bulletin.
- The issue with language packs remains unresolved and continues to affect Windows Server 2012. If you install a language pack after installing KB5030278 monthly rollup update, you will need to redeploy the monthly rollup update.
It may be a good idea to understand that Windows Server 2012 becomes End-of-support in October 2023. The Extended Security Updates or ESUs are made available for a period of 3 years. Using the ESUs will extend security update coverage for Windows Server 2012 for a period of 3 years.
If you were to get the ESUs, the support for Windows Server 2012 will end in October 2026.
KB5030278 can be installed automatically as it is a cumulative update. You could use one of the following methods to deploy KB5030278 automatically:
- Windows Update
- WSUS or Windows Server Update Service
We recommend using the WSUS or Windows Server Update Service to deploy patches on Windows Server 2012.
The Servicing Stack Update KB5030330 will be automatically deployed as part of the automated update process before the KB5030278 patch is installed.
You could also install KB5030278 manually. For this, you will need to install the offline installer file for KB5030278. The offline installer file has an extension of MSU.
The manual deployment process of the monthly rollup update is a two-step process.
- Download and install KB5030330 Servicing Stack Update
- Download and install KB5030278 monthly rollup update
The installer files for the SSU and the monthly rollup update can be downloaded from the Microsoft Update Catalog site. We have also shared the direct download links for both patches.
Download KB5030330 Servicing Stack Update
- Download KB5030330 SSU from the Microsoft Update Catalog site
- Direct download link for KB5030330
- The size of the KB5030330 SSU is 10 MB.
It may be pertinent to mention that the Servicing Stack Updates do not cause server reboots.
Download KB5030278 Monthly Rollup Update
- Download KB5030278 from the Microsoft Update Catalog site
- Direct download link for KB5030278
- The size of the KB5030278 update file is 424.6 MB.
It may be important to note that the monthly rollup updates will cause server reboot. Therefore, we strongly suggest carrying out the deployment as part of the organized change management process.
There have been 12 security vulnerability disclosures for Windows Server 2012 as part of the September 2023 security bulletin. Out of these 12 vulnerabilities, there are no CRITICAL vulnerabilities.
There are no zero-day threats that affect Windows Server 2012 as per September month’s security bulletin.
The following changes are part of the KB5030278 monthly rollup update for Windows Server 2012:
- The renaming of local temporary user policy files during Group Policy processing might cause registry settings under Policies related paths to be deleted.
- This update includes changes to Israel daylight saving time (DST).
September 2023 Security Updates by Microsoft
You may also like to read more about security updates shared below:
- KB5030287 Security Update for Windows Server 2012 R2
- KB5030278 Monthly Rollup Update for Windows Server 2012
- KB5030269 Monthly Rollup for Windows Server 2012 R2
- KB5030216 Cumulative Update for Windows Server 2022
- KB5030213 Cumulative Update for Windows Server 2016
- KB5030214 Cumulative Update for Windows Server 2019
- KB5030279 Security Update for Windows Server 2012
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Rajesh Dhawan is a technology professional who loves to blog about smart wearables, Cloud computing and Microsoft technologies. He loves to break complex problems into manageable chunks of meaningful information.