Garmin Forerunner 955 and Venu 2 Plus smartwatches come at an identical price point. For a sub-500 priced watch, the Forerunner 955 and Venu 2 Plus are robust and reliable smartwatch options from Garmin.
We look at the key differences between the Forerunner 955 and Venu 2 Plus watch below. But, one thing is amply clear. Forerunner 955 is one of the best watches for runners with accurate precision and GPS accuracy. Venu 2 Plus has a rich set of features and is a smartwatch with all-round capabilities.
For the comparison between Forerunner 955 and Venu 2 Plus, we have evaluated both watches based on the following factors.
- Forerunner 955 has a memory-in-pixel (MIP) screen. Venu 2 Plus has an AMOLED screen.
- The display resolution of Forerunner 955 is 260 x 260 pixels and the display resolution of Venu 2 Plus is 416 x 416 pixels. Venu 2 Plus has a much improved display resolution in comparison with the Forerunner 955.
- The display screen size for both watches is 33 mm.
- The advantage of having an AMOLED screen is that it offers Always on Display or AOD capability to the watch.
Glass quality of Lens
- Forerunner 955 has Corning Gorilla Glass DX and the Venu 2 Plus has Corning Gorilla Glass 3.
- Corning Gorilla Glass 3 is a chemically strengthened glass that is damage resistant and tough. But, Corning Gorilla Glass DX is a newer glass that is fit for smartwatches. Corning Gorilla Glass DX has an additional anti-reflective coating and has a better scratch resistance than the Corning Gorilla Glass 3.
- In terms of lens material, Forerunner 955 has better lens material and is at least two generations ahead of the Corning Gorilla Glass 3. Corning Gorilla Glass 3 was released in 2013 while the Corning Gorilla Glass DX was released in 2018. This would give you a good perspective in terms of the lens material quality of Forerunner 955 and Garmin Venu 2 Plus.
- Garmin Venu 2 Plus has a fiber-enforced polymer body with stainless steel bezel. The steel bezel gives a premium look to the Venu 2 Plus.
- Forerunner 955 is geared for the practical use of runners. It has a fiber-enforced polymer body and bezel.
- The weight of Forerunner is 52 g and the weight of Venu 2 Plus is 51 g.
- Forerunner has an extended battery life with longer backup times for runners.
- On the smartwatch mode, Forerunner 955 has 15 days of battery backup. Venu 2 Plus has 9 days of battery backup.
- On the GPS mode, Forerunner 955 has a backup of 42 hours, and Venu 2 Plus has a backup of 24 hours.
Garmin’s ECG app received FDA approval on 12th January 2023. Garmin filed the request in June 2022. On 24th January 2023, the Garmin ECG app was enabled on the Venu 2 Plus device.
So, Venu 2 Plus has become the first Garmin smartwatch to provide an ECG feature on the smartwatch.
Garmin ECG app will use the sensors at the back of the watch to take electrocardiogram readings of 30 seconds. These ECG readings are available for immediate viewing on the smartwatch.
Upon sync with Garmin Connect, the electrocardiogram readings are also made available in the Garmin Connect app.
These ECG reports can be shared with a medical professional using the Garmin Connect app.
Garmin ECG app is expected to help in detecting AFib or Atrial Fibrillation conditions. The ECG reports should be able to capture irregular heart rhythm conditions.
Garmin Forerunner 955 does not have the ECG feature as we write this in June 2023.
- Forerunner 955 has 32 GB of internal memory or storage on the device. It can store up to 2000 songs on the device.
- The incremental storage of Forerunner 955 provides additional advantages. Forerunner 955 has preloaded Golf maps of 42000 golf courses. It also comes with preloaded topo maps and preloaded road and trail maps.
- Venu 2 Plus can store up to 650 songs on the device storage of the watch.
If you intend to add more topo maps or trail maps on the watch, the Forerunner 955 becomes a preferred watch model over the Garmin Venu 2 Plus. The added storage will allow augmenting the topo maps of different geographic regions.
The incremental backup of Forerunner 955 has been provided for the runners and multi-sport enthusiasts.
Operating Temperature Range
- Forerunner 955 has an operating temperature range between -20-60 degrees Celsius.
- Garmin Venu 2 Plus has an operating temperature range between -20-50 degrees Celsius.
The difference in operating temperature range becomes significant for hot and temperate regions.
Multi-frequency Positioning GNSS
- Forerunner 955 supports multi-point frequency positioning. Forerunner 955 has a multi-frequency sensor. It can take GPS coordinates from multiple points or satellites in the same satellite system. This gives a boost to the GPS accuracy of the Forerunner 955 watch. It also ensures more reliable GPS connectivity.
- Forerunner 955 is ideal for runners. Multi-frequency positioning is a massive improvement for hikers, trail runners, and athletes.
Venu 2 Plus does not support multi-frequency positioning.
Multi-sport and Running features
Forerunner 955 outscores Venu 2 Plus in terms of multi-sport functionality, training modes, and safety features. We list the main advantages of Forerunner 955 when it comes to multi-sport features.
- Forerunner 955 supports live-track feature of spectator messaging. It allows your followers to send you text messages through your phone’s cellular network connection. The spectator messaging feature for Forerunner 955 is supported only on Android smartphones for now. Spectator messaging is a useful safety feature. Venu 2 Plus does not have the spectator messaging feature.
- Forerunner 955 comes with detailed training metrics that include realtime stamina, VO2 or volumetric oxygen, Strava and Garmin live segments, etc. Forerunner 955’s in-built training metrics help you track running performance in great detail.
- Forerunner 955 has additional running profiles that include outdoor track running, Ultratrac running, Trail running, and virtual running. Both, Forerunner 955 and Venu 2 Plus include Running, indoor track running and treadmill running modes.
- Forerunner 955 supports Pace Pro pacing strategies to plan your runs and walks for better results.
- Forerunner 955 comes preloaded with 42000 Golf course maps.
- Forerunner 955 comes with cycle maps and offers additional cycling profiles of Road Biking, Mountain Biking, Gravel Biking, Bike Commuting, Bike Touring, eBiking, eMountain Biking, Cyclocross.
- Forerunner 955 has an additional open water swimming profile. Both, Forerunner 955 and Venu 2 Plus support pool water swimming profiles. The difference can be attributed to the water ratings of both watches. Both watches carry an identical water rating of 5 ATM or swim proof ratings.
- Forerunner 955 also offers a diverse range of outdoor recreation profiles. In comparison with Venu 2 Plus, the Forerunner 955 offers additional outdoor recreation profiles of Snowboarding, Backcountry Skiing, XC Skate Skiing, Kayaking, Snowshoeing, Mapping, Navigating, Tennis, Pickleball, Padel, Track Me, and Project Waypoint. In-depth reporting and tracking of the outdoor profiles is a part of Forerunner 955’s software.
Table of Comparison – Forerunner 955 vs Venu 2 Plus
For a quick comparison between Forerunner 955 and Venu 2 Plus, you may follow over 40 features that have been shared below in the table of comparison. It would take you less than a minute to find the information you have been looking for in the table of comparison below.
|Venu 2 Plus
|46.5 x 46.5 x 14.4 (mm)
|43.6 x 43.6 x 12.6 mm
|Fiber-enforced polymer and steel rear cover
|MIP or Memory in Pixel
|Corning Gorilla Glass 3
|Corning Gorilla DX Coated
|260 x 260 pixels
|416 x 416 pixels
|15 days on smartwatch mode
|9 days on smartwatch mode
|Battery Saver Mode
|200 hours activity data storage
|Ambient Light Sensor
|Yes (with tempe sensor)
|Bluetooth®, ANT+®, Wi-Fi®
|Bluetooth®, ANT+®, Wi-Fi®
|upto 2000 songs
|upto 650 songs
|Group Live Track
|Running, Outdoor Track Running, Treadmill Running, Indoor Track Running, Trail Running, Virtual Running, Ultra Running
|Running, Treadmill Running, Indoor Track Running
|Preloaded Golf Maps
|Yes (42000 Golf Course Maps)
|Outdoor Recreation Profiles
|Hiking, Climbing, Skiing, Snowboarding, Backcountry Skiing, XC Classic Skiing, XC Skate Skiing, Stand Up Paddleboarding, Rowing, Kayaking, Snowshoeing, Mapping, Navigating, Tennis, Pickleball, Padel, Track Me, Project Waypoint
|Hiking, Indoor Climbing, Bouldering, Skiing, Snowboarding, XC Classic Skiing, Stand Up Paddleboarding, Rowing
|Biking, Road Biking, Mountain Biking, Gravel Biking, Bike Commuting, Bike Touring, eBiking, eMountain Biking, Indoor Biking, Cyclocross
|Biking, Indoor Biking
|Pool Swimming, Open Water Swimming, Swimming/Running
|Smart Trainer Control
|Heart Rate Monitoring
|Abnormal Heart Rate Alerts
|Sleep Score and Insights
|GPS, Galileo, GLONASS
|GPS, Galileo, GLONASS
Forerunner 955 is a watch for runners. It has an advanced set of features for runners that are unavailable on the Venu 2 Plus. Venu 2 Plus is a generic smartwatch that has a rich set of features. Forerunner 955 must be considered by runners and athletes for the in-depth reporting and tracking of running activity.
For non-runners, the Venu 2 Plus ticks all the boxes, and the AMOLED display of the Venu 2 Plus makes for a remarkable display experience.
Meanwhile, Forerunner 965 has been unveiled by Garmin. Read more about the Forerunner 965 and Forerunner 955 comparison on this page.
You may also like to read more content related to Garmin watches:
- Garmin Forerunner watches with Garmin Pay
- Garmin Forerunner 955 vs Forerunner 255
- Fenix 7 Solar vs Forerunner 955 Solar
- Garmin Venu 2 Plus – FAQs
- Garmin Venu 2 Plus vs Vivoactive 4
- Garmin Venu 2 – Smartwatch for 2022
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?