Garmin released the latest firmware version 9.03 for the Forerunner 55 series smartwatches on 24 October 2023. The update had been rolled out to the eligible Forerunner 55 devices by 26 October 2023.
Forerunner 55 Firmware 9.03 – Changelog
The following change has been incorporated in the firmware version 9.03 for the Garmin Forerunner 55:
- Fixed the intensity minutes “Use Heart Rate Zones” setting
- Change to help preserve battery life throughout the lifespan of the product
Install firmware 9.03 on Garmin Forerunner 55
The latest firmware version 9.03 for the Garmin Forerunner 55 can be installed on the device automatically. You have options to install the firmware through the Garmin Express application or the Garmin Connect app.
We prefer the Garmin Express application to update the firmware 9.03 on the Forerunner 55 device. The process is simple and brisk.
The Garmin Connect app uses the smartphone’s Wi-Fi connectivity to download the update and apply on the watch. The update gets pushed out to the smartwatch using the Bluetooth pairing between the smartwatch and the smartphone.
Both options to update the firmware on Forerunner 55 are discussed below:
Update firmware 9.03 using Garmin Express
Garmin Express is Garmin’s application for the PC platform. You need to install it on your Windows PC or Mac computer. Post-installation of the Garmin Express application, the application pulls the updates from the Garmin website. It will push the update out to the smartphone configured in the Garmin Express application.
- Garmin Express is a proprietary application that can be installed on any computer. It is available for Windows and macOS computers.
- Garmin Express for Windows or macOS computers can be downloaded from this page on the Garmin website.
- Once you have downloaded Garmin Express, you can install it on the computer by executing the file.
- Validate if Garmin Express is working cleanly. You will need to add your device (Forerunner 55) to the Garmin Express application.
- Garmin Express helps in pulling firmware updates, map updates, Golf course updates and uploading your activities to the Garmin Connect app.
- Once you have linked your Forerunner 55 to the Garmin Express application, open the Garmin Express application.
- Connect your Forerunner 55 to the computer using a USB cable. The USB cable was shipped alongside the smartwatch when you first bought it.
- Allow Garmin Express to validate the current firmware version on Forerunner 55. Allow it to pull the latest firmware version 9.03 from the Garmin website.
- Once the software has been downloaded on the Garmin Express application, it gets pushed out to the connected Garmin Forerunner 55 device.
- This will initiate the firmware installation on your Forerunner 55 smartwatch.
- Please allow some time for the firmware to be installed automatically on your Forerunner 55 device.
- You can verify if the latest firmware has been installed on the Forerunner 55 device by going to Settings —-> System and finding the firmware in the About Device section.
Install Firmware 9.03 using the Garmin Connect app
The Garmin Connect app is Garmin’s app. It provides an interface between Garmin servers and the paired smartwatch. All downloads automatically get downloaded onto your smartphone.
The Garmin Connect app is available for the Android and iOS mobile operating systems.
- Garmin Connect is an app that can be installed on the smartphone paired with the Forerunner 55 device.
- Garmin Connect for Android phones can be downloaded from the Google Play Store page for Garmin Connect.
- Garmin Connect for iOS devices can be downloaded from the Apple app store page for Garmin Connect.
- Install Garmin Connect app on the smartphone paired with Forerunner 55. Once the app is installed, link or connect the Forerunner 55 with the Garmin Connect account.
- Do ensure that the Bluetooth connection between the Garmin Connect app and Forerunner 55 is good. Also, do ensure that you have adequate battery charge on the Forerunner 55 and paired smartphone for the firmware update process to complete flawlessly.
- Garmin Connect validates the current firmware version on your Forerunner 55 device. If a software update is available through the Garmin servers, Garmin Connect will download the firmware files from the Garmin servers automatically.
- After the software has been downloaded on the phone through Garmin Connect app, it gets pushed out to the Forerunner 55 device over a Bluetooth connection.
- Once the firmware has been installed on the Forerunner 55, you can verify the current version of software or firmware by going to the Settings —-> System and About Device section on the watch. It would tell you the version of firmware installed on the Forerunner 55 smartwatch.
Battery drain after firmware update
There is a chance that your Forerunner 55 battery may drain faster after updating firmware on the smartwatch. This seems to be a known issue.
It can easily resolved by performing a soft reset. To resolve battery drain issues on the Forerunner 55, you may follow the process below:
- Perform a soft-reset of the Forerunner 55 smartwatch. In other words, reboot or restart the Forerunner 55 smartwatch. Most battery drain issues arising out of firmware updates of the Forerunner 55 get resolved with a soft reset of the smartwatch.
- If the soft reset of the smartwatch does not resolve the battery drain issue on the Forerunner 55, you will need to perform a hard reset or factory reset. Before proceeding with a hard or factory reset, you must back up the smartwatch settings and user data. All user data and settings are lost after a factory reset. We suggest backing up the watch data using the Garmin Connect app to prevent data loss. Once the hard reset is complete, you can sync your smartwatch with the Garmin Connect app to restore data from the backup.
- If the hard reset also fails to resolve the battery drain issue, we suggest contacting Garmin customer support for further help.
Manual download of firmware files
The manual download of firmware 9.03 for Forerunner 55 is not possible. The update can be installed using the Garmin Express or the Garmin Connect applications only.
A manual download of the beta firmware version is possible. For this, you will need to participate in the beta program for the Forerunner 55 smartwatch.
A factory reset of the smartwatch will also not make much of a difference in terms of firmware updates. The moment Forerunner 55 synchronizes with the Garmin Connect app, the firmware will automatically update to the latest version.
Rollback of firmware
You cannot rollback the firmware once it has been automatically updated to the latest firmware version 9.03. If you are running into issues post-installtion of the firmware version 9.03 on Forerunner 55, your best option is to contact Garmin support.
You may be also interested in the software updates or firmware updates shared below:
- Garmin Forerunner 965 – Latest Firmware
- Garmin Forerunner 955 – Latest Firmware
- Garmin Forerunner 265 – Firmware 17.26
- Garmin Forerunner 945 – Latest Firmware
- Garmin Forerunner 745 – Latest Firmware
- Garmin Forerunner 645 – Latest Firmware
- Garmin Forerunner 255 – Latest Firmware
- Garmin Forerunner 245 – Latest Firmware
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?