Forerunner 255 was released in March 2023 and is the latest in the Forerunner series running watches. Forerunner 955 is a year old and continues to be in demand. We look at the core features and capabilities of Forerunner 265 and Forerunner 955.
Forerunner 265 has been launched at a price of $449.99 and Forerunner 955 is available for a cost of $499.99. The difference in price between the two watches is $50 only.
Below, we capture the main differentiating points between the Forerunner 265 and Forerunner 955. Most core features of both watches are the same. So, we will not discuss the core features of both smartwatches.
Forerunner 265 and Forerunner 955 differ significantly in the display glass and technology.
Forerunner 955 uses Corning Gorilla Glass 3 with DX coating for a better anti-reflective experience and better display clarity. Forerunner 265 has a Corning Gorilla Glass 3 or the Gorilla Glass from the 3rd generation. Forerunner 955 uses a newer and better glass of Corning.
However, the Forerunner 265 trumps Forerunner 955 with its AMOLED display. Forerunner 955 uses the MIP or memory-in-pixel screen.
The advantage of AMOLED display is that you get a much better display clarity, brightness, and experience. Due to the AMOLED display, a Forerunner 265 gets the following benefits:
- Display resolution of Forerunner 265 is 416 x 416 pixels while the display resolution of Forerunner 955 is 260 x 260 pixels.
- Forerunner 265 supports Always-on-display or AOD. AOD feature is not available in the Forerunner 955 series running watches.
There are minor differences in the device physical specifications of the Forerunner 265 and Forerunner 955.
- Forerunner 265 has a device size of 46.1 mm and a thickness of 12.9 mm.
- Forerunner 955 has a device size of 46.5 mm and a thickness of 14.4 mm
You will find the Forerunner 955 significantly thicker than the Forerunner 265.
- Forerunner 265 weighs 47 g and Forerunner 955 weighs 52 g
The biggest device capability difference lies in the device storage of the device memory of the Forerunner 955.
- Forerunner 955 has an internal device storage of 32 GB while the Forerunner 265 has an internal device storage of 8 GB.
Additional or rich device storage actually helps in adding different topographical maps or trail maps easily on the Forerunner 955.
For serious runners, higher device storage translates into the more exhaustive trail and running maps on the device.
Forerunner 955 has a marginally better battery capacity than the Forerunner 265 and this is on the expected lines. The difference is not huge but makes for a strong case for the Forerunner 955.
- On the smartwatch mode, Forerunner 955 can go up to 15 days and Forerunner 265 can go up to 13 days.
- On the GPS mode, Forerunner 955 can go up to 42 hours and Forerunner 265 can last for up to 20 hours.
Again, for seasoned hikers and runners, a Forerunner 955 ticks all the boxes and offers a decent backup during trail runs and hikes.
There are a few subtle differences between the Forerunner 265 and Forerunner 955 smartwatches. We list these points below for ready comparison.
- Forerunner 265 has integrated an Ambient light sensor in the watch. Forerunner 955 does not have an Ambient light sensor.
- Forerunner 955 supports Golf and has a tight integration and support for the Golf app. Forerunner 265 does not have any compatibility with Garmin Golf.
- Forerunner 955 has a significantly higher number of outdoor recreation profiles, cycling profiles, and swimming profiles than the Forerunner 265.
- Group Live track safety feature is part of the Forerunner 955 and it is missing on the Forerunner 265.
For a difference of $50, I prefer a Forerunner 955 because of its better adaptability for runners. Forerunners are meant for runners, and Forerunner 955 offers a more exhaustive and comprehensive range of features and capabilities for the intended audiences.
Understandably, Forerunner 265 makes significant advances. Especially, when we consider the AMOLED display.
But, it would depend on your end goals. If your goals are better running experience, you must go for the Forerunner 955 smartwatch.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?