Garmin released the latest software update version 9.33 for Fenix 7 devices on 23rd August 2022. This firmware or software has been rolled out automatically to all the eligible Fenix 7 devices. Fenix 7 devices from the APAC region may not be eligible as of now for this firmware update version 9.33.
Salient points about Garmin Fenix 7 Software Update 9.33
- Fenix 7 Software Update 9.33 supersedes the previous software update version 8.37.
- The software has been rolled out completely to all the eligible Fenix 7 devices.
- The latest software update resolves the sudden shutdown of the Fenix 7 device after workouts or activities like swimming.
- This software update also adds lots of functionality in terms of augmented features on Fenix 7.
- Garmin Express or Garmin Connect should be used for updating the firmware on Fenix 7 devices.
- The firmware update or software update is available for all the 8 variants of Fenix 7 devices.
- If you use Garmin Express for updates, we suggest taking a backup of /GARMIN/ folder from your computer. The /GARMIN/ folder contains firmware files. So, before moving to the latest firmware update version 9.33, do take a copy of the /GARMIN/ folder. The backup should be taken before attempting an upgrade to firmware version 9.33.
- Alternatively, join the Beta forums of Garmin Fenix 7. You can download the beta files for firmware version 9.33. The beta version of firmware version 9.33 also contains the backdated firmware version 8.37.
What Fenix 7 watches get firmware version 9.33?
All the eight variants of Garmin Fenix 7 smartwatch series are eligible for firmware update or software update version 9.33. The Fenix 7 variants that are eligible for firmware update are listed below:
- Fenix 7
- Fenix 7S
- Fenix 7
- Fenix 7 Solar
- Fenix 7S Solar
- Fenix 7 Sapphire Solar
- Fenix 7S Sapphire Solar
- Fenix 7X Solar
- Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar
Update firmware on Fenix 7 using Garmin Express application
The firmware update for Fenix 7 happens automatically. Garmin Express should be the preferred method for updating Fenix 7 software.
Garmin Express is an application for your computer. It can be downloaded for Windows and Mac computers. The Windows file for Garmin Express is an executable file and the Apple file is a DMG file.
Garmin Express should be always preferred over Garmin Connect for updating firmware, maps, Golf course updates and maritime or marine charts. It is faster than Garmin Connect.
You can update software on Fenix 7 through Garmin Express application as per the process given below:
- Before updating the firmware on Fenix 7 through Garmin Express, you need to connect your Fenix 7 to the computer. We need to establish a connection between the Fenix 7 and Garmin Express on your computer.
- Once Garmin Express has recognized your Fenix 7 device and the variant, we have successfully established a connection between the Fenix 7 device and Garmin Express. This is, usually, a one time activity.
- Assuming that your Fenix 7 is recognized by Garmin Express application, we can initiate the firmware update.
- Connect your Fenix 7 device to the computer with Garmin Express application using the USB cable provided with the smartwatch.
- If a firmware update or software update is available for your device, Garmin Express application will pull the firmware files from the Garmin servers.
- Once the firmware files have been retrieved on the computer using Garmin Express application, the firmware needs to be pushed out to the Fenix 7 device. The process of pushing firmware to Fenix 7 device is automatic and happens behind the scenes. No user intervention is needed for the firmware update process.
- You can disconnect the Fenix 7 watch from computer.
- On the watch, you should see the firmware files and the watch will ask for permission to ‘Install firmware right now’ or ‘Install tonight’. You need to ensure that the Fenix 7 watch is fully charged or adequately charged for the firmware update to go through unhindered.
- Upon your permission, the firmware update will complete automatically.
- If you missed getting a prompt for installing firmware on Fenix 7, you can bring up the firmware update options as given below:
- From the main menu on the watch, select or scroll to Settings
- Select System
- Select Software Update
- Select Update Available
This should initiate the firmware update on Fenix 7 device.
Fenix 7 firmware update through Garmin Connect app
Garmin Connect app is an app that resides on your mobile smartphone. The mobile smartphone pairs to the Fenix 7 smartwatch. Garmin Connect app is available for Android smartphones and Apple smartphones. It becomes an interface between Garmin and your Fenix 7 watch.
To update firmware on Fenix 7 using the Garmin Connect app, we will follow the process below:
- Ensure that the Fenix 7 smartwatch is adequately charged. Preferably, it should be fully charged.
- Ensure that the mobile smartphone that is paired with Fenix 7 is in close proximity with the Fenix 7 smartwatch. This ensures good Bluetooth connection quality.
- If and when the firmware update is available for your Fenix 7 device, Garmin Connect will pull the firmware files automatically on the paired smartphone.
- Once the firmware files for Fenix 7 have been downloaded on the smartphone, the firmware is pushed out to the paired Fenix 7 device.
- This process is automatically completed. No user intervention is needed.
How do I validate the firmware version or software version on Fenix 7?
Upon completing the firmware update through Garmin Express or Garmin Connect, we need to make sure that the firmware has been applied successfully. We can validate this by checking the firmware version displayed on the watch. Here is how you can validate the installed firmware version on Fenix 7 device:
- Hold MENU.
- Select System
- Select About.
This will bring out the device information, including the software version or firmware version installed on Fenix 7 smartwatch.
Fenix 7 Battery Drain after software update version 9.33
It is possible that you may experience battery drain after firmware update to version 9.33 on Fenix 7. Battery drain after firmware update is a pretty well known issue.
The battery drain issue on Fenix 7 has been resolved in firmware version 9.37 for Garmin Fenix 7. You can read more about firmware version 9.37 for Garmin Fenix 7 here. The latest firmware version 9.37 has already been pushed out to all the eligible Fenix 7 devices.
In most cases, the battery drain issue may be resolved by following the process below:
- Power off and then Power on the Garmin Fenix 7 smartwatch.
- If powering off and on of Fenix 7 device does not resolve the problem, try to hard reset the Fenix 7 watch.
- You can hard reset your watch by holding down the watch top left button until your watch shuts off.
- If hard resetting the Fenix 7 watch does not help, you can factory reset your Garmin Fenix 7 watch.
- Before doing a factory reset on your Garmin Fenix 7, synchronize the device with Garmin Connect app to upload all activity data of your Fenix 7 to the smartphone based app.
Fenix 7 firmware version 9.33 became available on 23rd August 2022. This firmware follows up to the previous firmware release version 8.37. Apart from fixing previous firmware bugs, the latest firmware adds a lot of new features. The firmware on Fenix 7 can be automatically updated through Garmin Express application or Garmin Connect app.
You may like to read more content related to Fenix 7 smartwatches below:
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Helen Kurt is a geeky nerd who loves to cover the wearables space. She has over 5 years of experience in the smartwatch domain. You can reach her on email at [email protected].