Garmin has released the new firmware for Fenix 7 smartwatches. The latest firmware for Garmin Fenix 7 is version 8.18. It was released on 10th May 2022. The firmware version 8.18 had been released as a beta version sometime back. It has now been promoted to the stable release version of firmware on Fenix 7 devices. Garmin Fenix 7 firmware 8.18 supersedes the last stable release version 7.35.
Introduction or Key points
The firmware version 8.18 has been rolled out to all the eligible Garmin Fenix 7 devices.
The Fenix 7 firmware version 8.18 is grouped into 3 different categories:
- Firmware 8.18 for Garmin Fenix 7 devices – covers Fenix 7 Standard edition, Fenix 7 Solar edition, and Fenix 7 Sapphire edition.
- Firmware 8.18 for Garmin 7S devices – covers Fenix 7S Standard edition, Fenix 7S Solar edition, and Fenix 7S Sapphire edition.
- Firmware 8.18 for Garmin 7X devices – covers Fenix 7X Solar edition and Fenix 7X Sapphire edition.
Garmin has published the firmware files that can be used to push the firmware on Fenix 7 devices to the latest version 8.18. These firmware files have been shared for the Release Candidate version 8.18. Release Candidate 8.18 is similar in contents and effect to the Stable Release version 8.18. So, in plain words, there is no difference between Stable version 8.18 and Release Candidate 8.18 firmware files.
However, we suggest that you should use the Garmin Express application or the Garmin Connect app to update firmware on the Fenix 7 devices.
You can read more about the Garmin Fenix 7 version 7.35 firmare update process on this page.
Fenix 7 firmware update using Garmin Express application
Garmin Express application is available for Windows and Mac computers. The application can be downloaded from the Garmin website. Use the link that corresponds to your computer’s operating system, Windows or Mac.
To update firmware on Garmin Fenix 7, please follow the instructions below:
- Connect your Garmin Fenix 7 to the computer running the Garmin Express application.
- Launch the Garmin Express application. If this is the first time you are using the Garmin Express application, it will automatically pull the watch details. In our case, it would pick Fenix 7 automatically. Alternatively, you can pick your watch model from the drop-down on the screen.
- At this point, the Garmin Express application will contact the Garmin Servers. It checks the latest firmware version available for Fenix 7.
- Garmin Express will download the firmware files on the local computer. The firmware gets updated locally on the computer.
- Disconnect your Fenix 7 device from the computer.
- Allow the computer to push the firmware files automatically to the Garmin Fenix 7 smartwatch.
The entire exercise should be completed in less than an hour. What we need for a seamless firmware experience on Garmin Fenix 7 is:
- Good Internet connectivity between your computer and the Garmin site for fetching firmware update files.
- Good Bluetooth connection between your computer and the Fenix 7 device.
- USB cable to connect Fenix 7 to the computer for the initial connect and firmware identification.
If the firmware update is hindered during the process, the application should be able to pull in the files when the connectivity resumes. If the firmware update fails for some reason, you can try to do a reset on Fenix 7 watch. Now, attempt the firmware update again by repeating the process stated above.
Update firmware to version 8.18 on Garmin Fenix 7 using Garmin Connect
Garmin Connect is Garmin’s app for smartphones. It works in establishing integration between the Garmin smartwatch and paired smartphone. The paired smartphone could be an Android smartphone or an Apple iPhone. Garmin Connect is compatible with Android version 7 or later. The current version of the Garmin Connect app is 4.54.1. You can download the Garmin Connect app from the Google Play Store page.
Garmin Connect app for iPhones is available from the Apple app store. The latest version of the Garmin Connect app for iPhone is version 4.54.1. You can download it from the app store page of Garmin.
Please follow the instructions below to update firmware on Garmin Fenix 7 using the Garmin Connect app:
- Launch the Garmin Connect app on your smartphone.
- If a firmware update is available, Garmin Connect will download the firmware files on the smartphone. The download will happen automatically. It will take place in the background.
- Once the firmware files have been downloaded onto the smartphone, these files need to be pushed over to the Garmin Fenix 7 device.
- Garmin Fenix 7 should have a decent Bluetooth connection with the paired smartphone.
- The firmware update gets pushed out from the smartphone to the Garmin Fenix 7 device over the Bluetooth connection.
For the firmware update to be successful with the Garmin Connect app, we need to ensure the following:
- Please ensure that your smartphone is adequately charged, if not fully charged.
- Please ensure that the quality of the Bluetooth connection between the smartphone and Garmin Fenix 7 is good.
- Also, do ensure that you have an adequate charge on the Garmin Fenix 7 device.
In most cases of firmware update failures, the common causes are:
- Poor connection between the smartphone and the smartwatch.
- Low battery on the smartphone or the smartwatch.
Garmin Fenix 7 firmware 8.18 – Manually Updating the firmware
You can also download the firmware files for Garmin Fenix 7 manually. The manual download option is available for the Release Candidate version 8.18. The firmware files for Release Candidate and Stable Release for Garmin Fenix 7 are the same.
APAC customers should not download the firmware manually for any Fenix device. Let the firmware hit your device automatically.
Here is how you could manually update the firmware on Garmin Fenix 7 to version 8.18.
- Connect Fenix 7 to your computer using the USB cable.
- Now, download the firmware files manually as per the download links below:
- Download the firmware files for Fenix 7 from this link on the Garmin website.
- Download the firmware files for Fenix 7X from this link on the Garmin website.
- Download the firmware files for Fenix 7S from this link on the Garmin website.
3. Upon downloading the zip files of firmware, extract the files. You should see the following folders:
- Fenix7_818 for Fenix 7 devices
- Fenix7S_818 for Fenix 7S devices
- Fenix7X_818 for Fenix 7X devices
These folders will contain sub-folders:
4. From the SystemUpdate_818, copy the gupdate.gsp file and put that on the PRIMARY\GARMIN folder on your computer.
This will complete the firmware update process on Garmin Fenix 7 to firmware version 8.18.
How can I check the current firmware version on the Garmin Fenix 7 watch?
Firmware details of the Garmin Fenix 7 smartwatch can be checked from the ‘About Device’ section.
- On your Garmin Fenix 7 smartwatch, press Menu.
- Tap on System.
- Tap on the ‘About‘ section.
- The first page will list the ‘Primary Software Version‘ on your Garmin Fenix 7 device.
Upon successful update of firmware to version 8.18 on Garmin Fenix 7, you will see the following versions:
- GPS: 2.32
- Wireless: 24.61
- Sensor Hub: 18.02
- Touch Screen: 3.02
If you can validate these versions, your Garmin Fenix 7 device has been updated to firmware version 8.18.
The latest version of firmware for Garmin Fenix 7 is version 8.18. You would have already gotten this firmware update. If you have not received the firmware yet, please use the Garmin Express application or the Garmin Connect app to install the firmware version 8.18 on Fenix 7 devices.
Suggested Fenix 7 topics
You may like to read more information about Garmin Fenix 7 smartwatches in the pages below:
- Is Fenix 7 waterprooof?
- How do I start an activity on Garmin Fenix 7?
- Does Fenix 7 have wireless charging?
- Does Fenix 7 have LTE?
- How to enable automatic backlight on Fenix 7?
- Latest firmware version for Fenix 7
- Apple Watch 8 vs Garmin Fenix 7
- Epix 2 vs Fenix 7 Sapphire Solar
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?