Garmin has released the latest firmware version 23.10 for Fenix 6 smartwatches on 21st September 2022. Firmware or software version 23.10 supersedes firmware version 23. It seeks to, primarily, address the bugs and issues reported in the firmware version 23.
The firmware rollout is happening in a phased manner. As of writing this, the firmware has already been pushed to 40 percent eligible devices. We look at the issues that have been addressed in the firmware version 23.10 for Fenix 6 devices. The firmware version 23.10 is available for all the Fenix 6 variants.
Garmin suggests updating the firmware automatically through the Garmin Express application or the Garmin Connect app. We will share details of both methods below. And, we do feel that automated installation of the firmware update or software update is the best approach for a Garmin Fenix 6 smartwatch.
Salient points about firmware version 23.10 for Fenix 6
- Firmware version 23.10 supersedes firmware 23 for Fenix 6. It was released on 21st September 2022.
- The latest stable release version 23.10 inherits the changes from the beta release version 23.02.
- Post deployment of stable release version 23.10 on Garmin Fenix 6 smartwatches, your device should show the following details:
- GPS Version – 5.50/6.30
- Sensor Hub Version – 20.04
- Wi-Fi Version – 4.01
- ANT/BLE/BT Version for Pro series Fenix 6 devices- 6.15
- ANT/BLE/BT Version for non-pro series Fenix 6 devices – 3.01
- You can check if the device has been updated to the firmware version 23.10 by checking the Menu – System – About pages on Fenix 6. It should display the firmware version that resides on the watch.
- We prefer to use the Garmin Express application on a PC to download the firmware update and push the software update to the Fenix 6 device. You could, alternatively, let Garmin Connect deploy the firmware automatically.
- Rollback process of firmware or software update on Fenix 6 is not provided by Garmin.
Issues resolved in firmware version 23.10 for Garmin Fenix 6
- Fixed issue that could cause inaccuracies in the reported primary benefit for Training Effect.
- Fixed issue where long activities were causing the watch to behave poorly.
- Fixed potential inaccuracies in the Race Time Predictions.
There are some other bugs that have been reported for firmware version 23 for Fenix 6.
- Power Saving mode becomes unpredictable and may turn off automatically.
- Issues with AutoShot feature of Golf. Either the shot does not get detected or the Golf app show unpredictable hole data.
Garmin is working on a resolution for these issues.
Fenix 6 Smartwatch models for firmware version 23.10
Firmware version or software update 23.10 for Fenix 6 is available for all the following variants of Garmin Fenix 6 smartwatch:
- Fenix 6 Standard edition
- Fenix 6S
- Fenix 6S Pro Solar
- Fenix 6 Pro and Sapphire
- Fenix 6S Pro and Sapphire
- Fenix 6X Pro Solar
- Fenix 6X Pro and Sapphire
The update process remains same across all these device models of Fenix 6.
How can I rollback the firmware update on Fenix 6?
For rollback of the firmware, Garmin does not provide any mechanism. Rollback is not supported, and hence we recommend following the steps below for remediation of adverse situation arising out of firmware updates.
Handling issues after firmware update on Fenix 6
If you run into issues post deployment of the latest stable release firmware version 23.10 on Garmin Fenix 6 devices, the following steps must be considered to remedy the situation:
- The first step is to ‘Power off’ and then ‘Power on’ the Garmin Fenix 6 smartwatch.
- If powering off and on of Fenix 6 device does not resolve the problem, try to hard reset the Fenix 6 watch.
- You can hard reset your watch by holding down the watch top left button until your watch shuts off.
- If hard resetting the Fenix 6 watch does not help, you can do a factory reset of your Garmin Fenix 6 watch.
- Before doing a factory reset on your Garmin Fenix 6, synchronize the device with Garmin Connect app to upload all activity data of your Fenix 6 to the smartphone based app.
If all the above-stated measures fail to remedy the situation after firmware 23.10 deployment on Garmin Fenix 6, we suggest that you must contact Garmin support and open a bug support request for the issue faced by you.
Install Fenix 6 firmware version 23.10 using Garmin Express
Garmin Express is an application for your PC. It is used as a conduit between your Fenix 6 device and Garmin’s software servers. Garmin Express should be used as the preferred method for applying automated software update to the Fenix 6 device. Here is how you can use Garmin Express to download the latest update and push it to the Fenix 6 device.
- Please connect your Fenix 6 watch to the computer using the USB cable provided.
- Launch the Garmin Express application on your computer.
- Let Garmin Express identify your watch mode.
- Garmin Express will pull the latest firmware version files from the Garmin server.
- Allow the computer to sync the firmware files with the Garmin Fenix 6 smartwatch.
Upon successful application of the latest firmware, you can validate the firmware version by checking the System —> About page. It will list the latest firmware or software version that resides on your smartwatch.
Install firmware version 23.10 on Fenix 6 using Garmin Connect
Garmin Connect is the app for Android and iOS. It can be downloaded from the Google Play Store or Apple app store. Garmin Connect app forms a conduit between Garmin and your smartwatch.
To update firmware on Fenix 6 to version 23.10, please follow the process below:
- Do ensure that your smartphone is adequately charged. On a similar basis, do ensure that your smartwatch is charged.
- Do ensure that the watch has a good quality paired connection with the smartphone.
- Fenix 6 smartwatch and the paired smartphone are recommended to be in close proximity to each other.
- If the firmware update is available for your Fenix 6 watch device, the Garmin Connect app will pull the firmware files from the Garmin servers.
- Once Garmin Connect has downloaded the full firmware files, it will sync with the Fenix 6 watch. During the sync process, the firmware files get pushed out to the Garmin Fenix 6 smartwatch.
- The firmware update may take place automatically through the Garmin Connect app as and when the firmware 23.10 files are available for your Fenix 6.
Firmware version 23.10 for Fenix 6 has been released on 21st September 2022. It follows up to the previous firmware release version 23 that was released on 23rd September 2022. The latest stable release version resolves bugs that have been reported after deployment of firmware version 23 for Fenix 6.
You may like to read more content about Garmin smartwatches below:
- Garmin Fenix 6 Firmware 23 – released 23rd August 2022
- Garmin Fenix 6 – Your Questions
- Fenix 7 Sapphire Solar Smartwatches
- Garmin Fenix watches with Sapphire glass
Rajesh Dhawan is a technology professional who loves to blog about smart wearables, Cloud computing and Microsoft technologies. He loves to break complex problems into manageable chunks of meaningful information.