Garmin has released the latest stable release version of the software update or firmware update for Fenix 6 smartwatches. The firmware version 23 of software version 23 for Fenix 6 has been released on 23rd August 2022. This firmware or software update for Fenix 6 is available for all the Fenix 6 devices. The latest firmware or software update for Fenix 6 will supersede the previous firmware version 22.10. You can read more about firmware version 22.10 on this page.
The next firmware release version 23.10 has been released by Garmin on 21st September 2022. You can read more about it on the firmware version 23.10 page.
Salient points about Fenix 6 Software Update version 23
- Fenix 6 software update version 23 supersedes firmware or software update version 22.10. This update was released in June 2022.
- This firmware update is available for all the Fenix 6 device models. A full list of devices is mentioned below for your ready reference.
- Software update for Fenix 6 is made available by Garmin automatically through Garmin Express or Garmin Connect.
- Before applying the software update, we do suggest taking a backup of the /GARMIN/ folder on your computer. This would help in rolling back the firmware to firmware 22.10 in the event you run into issues after firmware update.
- Garmin Fenix 6 software update version 23 is being pushed out to eligible Fenix 6 devices in a phased approach. In the first phase, 30 percent of eligible Fenix 6 devices have received the software update.
- The previous software update 22.10 caused battery drain and boot loop issues on some Fenix 6 devices. Therefore, the latest software update version 23 assumes critical significance for resolving outstanding issues and resolving bugs.
- If you wish to read more about the issues caused by the software update 22.10 on Fenix 6 devices, please do visit this page for details.
- This firmware update or software update will also update the Sensor Hub, GPS and language files on all the Fenix 6 devices.
What bugs and issues have been fixed in Fenix 6 software update version 23?
Fenix 6 software update 23 seeks to resolve the following issues and bugs that have been reported with the previous versions of software update for Garmin Fenix 6 devices:
- Fixed a potential issue where Battery Saver mode would randomly turn on after an activity or accessing a menu.
- Fixed a potential issue where the device would prompt to update software even when system software is up to date.
- Fixed an issue in the Strength activity that would display an invalid value when the set timer goes over one hour.
- Fixed a potential issue where random text would be displayed on InReach messaging.
- Fixed a potential issue where the Daily Floors Climbed Goal alert would not alert.
- Fixed a potential UI issue where the watch face would only partially update.
- Fixed a potential issue where the Virtual Partner Time Ahead/Time behind would not update.
- Fixed a potential issue where swim workouts would loop back to previous sets.
- Fixed an issue when calibrating altitude via the DEM option where the prompt to enter sea level pressure was skipped.
- Fixed an issue where RCT could disconnect while on the widget glance.
- Fixed an issue where the device was not detecting floors climbed when in a Floor Climb activity as a part of a multisport.
- Fixed an issue on the Xero widget would be unable to acquire GPS.
- Fixed an intermittent issue where using a hot key to open a timer from the Spotify app will return the user to an empty screen.
- Fixed an intermittent issue where the device would not properly sync privacy settings with Garmin Connect Mobile.
Out of these issues, the battery saver mode issue, loop in firmware update and the improper strength training records have affected quite a few Fenix 6 device owners. As the software update version 23 gets rolled out to other Fenix 6 device owners, we will have a feedback about the impact of these issue resolutions.
What Fenix 6 device models are eligible for Fenix 6 software update version 23?
The following models of Fenix 6 devices are eligible for software update version 23:
- Fenix 6 Standard edition
- Fenix 6S
- Fenix 6S Pro Solar
- Fenix 6 Pro and Sapphire
- Fenix 6S Pro and Sapphire
- Fenix 6X Pro Solar
- Fenix 6X Pro and Sapphire
Before applying the software update on Fenix 6 device models, please do take a backup of /GARMIN/ folder on your computer.
Fenix 6 Software Update version 23 through Garmin Express application
Garmin Express is an application that works on Windows and Mac computers. Garmin Express must be used as a preferred way or approach to update software on Fenix 6 smartwatches. To update firmware or software to version 23 on the eligible Fenix 6 device models, please follow the instructions below:
- Please connect your Fenix 6 watch to the computer using the USB cable provided.
- Launch the Garmin Express application on your computer.
- Let Garmin Express identify your watch mode.
- Garmin Express will pull the latest firmware version files from the Garmin server.
- Allow the computer to sync the firmware files with the Garmin Fenix 6 smartwatch.
Firmware or software update through Garmin Express is generally faster because of good Internet speeds and connectivity between your computer and Garmin application servers.
Fenix 6 Software Update version 23 through Garmin Connect app
Garmin Connect app is available for Android and Apple mobile devices. Garmin Connect is an interface between Garmin servers and your Garmin device. When a software update is released by Garmin and is made available to your device, Garmin Connect will pick the firmware or software files. Subsequently, it will push the firmware through your mobile device to the Fenix 6 smartwatch.
To update firmware or software to version 23 on Fenix 6 device models, please follow the instructions below:
- Do ensure that your smartphone is adequately charged. On a similar basis, do ensure that your smartwatch is charged.
- Do ensure that the watch has a good quality paired connection with the smartphone.
- Fenix 6 smartwatch and the paired smartphone are recommended to be in close proximity to each other.
- If the firmware update is available for your Fenix 6 watch device, the Garmin Connect app will pull the firmware files from the Garmin servers.
- Once Garmin Connect has downloaded the full firmware files, it will sync with the Fenix 6 watch. During the sync process, the firmware files get pushed out to the Garmin Fenix 6 smartwatch.
- The firmware update may take place automatically through the Garmin Connect app as and when the firmware 23 files are available for your Fenix 6.
Garmin Fenix 6 has received a new software update version 23. This firmware update has been awaited very eagerly by the Fenix 6 device owners because it is expected to fix quite a few bugs and issues reported after firmware update to version 22.10. We suggest waiting for automated firmware update or software update to be made available for your device. We also suggest using the Garmin Express application as a preferred way to update firmware to version 23 on Garmin Fenix 6 smartwatch.
You may like to read more about Garmin Fenix devices in the content below:
- Garmin Fenix watches with Sapphire glass
- Boot Loops on Fenix 6?
- Garmin Fenix 6 – Your Questions
- Fenix 7 vs Fenix 6 smart watches
Rajesh Dhawan is a technology professional who loves to blog about smart wearables, Cloud computing and Microsoft technologies. He loves to break complex problems into manageable chunks of meaningful information.