Garmin has released firmware version 20.60 (main version) for the Garmin Fenix 6 devices. The firmware update will succeed the main firmware version 20.50. It seeks to address performance issues and bugs of the firmware version 20.50. You can read more about the firmware version 20.50 on this page. We look at the details of the firmware version 20.85 and how you could update it manually.
What is the latest firmware version for Fenix 6 smartwatches?
Garmin Fenix 6 firmware version 20.60 has now been superseded with the latest firmware version 21, released on the 10th of May, 2022. You can read more about the Garmin Fenix 6 firmware version 21 on this page.
Incidentally, Garmin has released the main firmware version 20.60 to succeed the firmware version 20.50. However, the following day, it released beta firmware 20.85. Firmware 20.85 beta follows the beta release version 20.82 for Fenix 6.
The firmware update for Fenix 6 version 20.60 is being rolled out in a phased manner. In the first phase, 20 percent of eligible devices would have received the firmware update automatically. We expect Garmin to monitor user feedback and performance issues before pushing the 20.60 firmware update to more Fenix 6 devices. We do suggest using the Garmin suggested approach of updating the main version of firmware on the Fenix 6 devices. That is, wait for the firmware update to arrive on your device automatically. Unless the update runs into unforeseen issues, we expect the firmware 20.60 updates to be sent to all the Fenix 6 devices within April 2022.
Update 28.04.22 – Firmware update 20.60 rollout percentage remains unchanged. It is still at 50 percent rollout coverage to the eligible devices.
Update 14.04.22 – Firmware update 20.60 has been rolled out to 50 percent of eligible Fenix 6 devices.
This firmware update version 20.60 for Fenix 6 addresses a couple of bugs. If at all you are interested in updating the firmware, please consider waiting for the update to arrive on your Garmin Express application.
Firmware update 20.60 for Fenix 6 devices will work on the following Fenix 6 devices:
- Fenix 6
- Fenix 6S Pro
- Fenix 6S
- Fenix 6 Pro
- Fenix 6X Pro
What bugs are resolved in Garmin Firmware 20.85 for Fenix 6?
Garmin’s firmware 20.60 for the Fenix 6 devices addresses 2 bugs that seem to have been caused by the previous release of firmware 20.50:
- It addresses a bug wherein your Fenix 6 may end up in a boot loop. The wat may not boot up to a working state. Instead, it goes through an indefinite power cycle. It powers off, and powers on automatically.
- The new firmware update allows you to reboot the device when the GPS becomes unresponsive. You get a separate prompt on the watch screen to reboot the smartwatch if GPS is not responding.
Aside from these 2 bug resolutions, the firmware version 20.60 builds upon the firmware 20.50 update of Fenix 6.
- There have also been user complaints about battery drain on Fenix 6 after the firmware 20.50 update. It is unclear if the battery drain is related to the firmware update 20.50 or if it is a different case. However, it does not harm to check the battery drain issue after the firmware on Fenix 6 gets updated to version 20.60. There could be a likely fix for the battery drain issues on the Fenix 6 devices after the firmware update to 20.60. The public beta 20.51 seems to have resolved the battery drain issue for a few users. Since beta firmware 20.51 is a part of the firmware 20.60 for Fenix 6, the battery drain issue is likely to be fixed in the firmware 20.60 for Fenix 6 smartwatches.
Can I update firmware version 20.60 on Fenix 6 manually?
Garmin advises updating the firmware on Fenix 6 devices automatically. You can update the software on your Fenix 6 device using the Garmin Express application on your computer. Or, alternatively, you may use the Garmin connect app on the paired smartphone to download and push the update to the Fenix 6 device.
If you are interested in updating the firmware manually, please consider updating the Fenix 6 device with the latest beta release of firmware 20.85 on the Fenix 6 watches.
Update firmware 20.60 using Garmin Express on the computer
To update firmware on Fenix 6 using the Garmin Express application, you will need to connect the Fenix 6 device to the computer using the USB cable or an ANT connection.
- Connect the Fenix 6 device to your computer.
- Launch the Garmin Express application.
- If your Fenix 6 device is eligible, the Garmin Express application will download the software or firmware update 20.60 to the computer first.
- Upon download, the update will be automatically pushed to the connected Fenix 6 smartwatch. Do bear in mind that all through the firmware update process, the Fenix 6 device ought to be connected to the computer over a USB cable.
Once the update process completes on the Fenix 6 watch, you can remove the watch from the computer.
Update firmware 20.60 on Fenix 6 using the Garmin Connect app
Firmware 20.60 for Fenix 6 is being automatically sent to the eligible devices in a phased approach by Garmin. You may update the firmware on Fenix 6 using the Garmin Connect app on your phone. Please follow the process below to update the software on Fenix 6 devices using the Garmin Connect app.
- Fenix 6 device needs to be paired with a smartphone. The phone could be an Android device or an iPhone.
- Fenix 6 device needs to be in close proximity with the paired smartphone.
- If the firmware 20.60 is made available for your Fenix 6 device, the Garmin Connect app will pull it automatically from the Garmin servers.
- Through the paired connection, the firmware update 20.60 will be synchronized with the firmware files downloaded using the Garmin Connect app.
- Once the firmware 20.60 has been sent from the mobile to the paired Fenix 6 device, the firmware update completes on the eligible devices.
At this point, we will like to reiterate that the software or firmware update process on the Fenix 6 devices should be, preferably, performed through the Garmin Express or Garmin Connect applications. The manual update process should be used for downloading the public beta release of firmware versions released by Garmin from time to time.
How much time does it take to update firmware on the Fenix 6 smartwatch?
In most cases, the firmware update process depends on the speed of your Internet connection or the speed of your WIFI network. Generally, everything gets sorted in less than an hour (usually in a few minutes for Europe, the US, Canada, and Australia). For most practical reasons, we suggest setting aside an hour for the software or firmware update to be downloaded through your computer or the paired smartphone. The push from your computer to the Fenix 6 device or from the paired smartphone to the Fenix 6 device is a quick process.
The Fenix 6 firmware update 20.60 is being automatically pushed to the eligible devices. There is encouraging feedback about resolving battery drain issues on the Fenix 6 devices. Indefinite boot loops on the Fenix 6 devices have also been resolved in the firmware 20.60 updates on the Fenix 6 smartwatches. We suggest waiting for the software update 20.60 for Fenix 6 to be sent to your device by Garmin automatically.
You may also like to read more about the following Garmin smartwatches:
- Fenix 7 Sapphire Solar Smartwatches
- Fenix 7S Solar vs Fenix 7 Solar v Fenix 7X Solar Watches
- Garmin Fenix 7 vs Epix 2 Smartwatches
- Fenix 7 Sapphire Solar vs Fenix 7S Solar
- Fenix 7 vs Fenix 6 smart watches
- Apple watch 7 vs Garmin Fenix 6X Pro for marathon runners
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Helen Kurt is a geeky nerd who loves to cover the wearables space. She has over 5 years of experience in the smartwatch domain. You can reach her on email at [email protected].