Forerunner 955 is the latest product in the Forerunner series. It makes for a compelling choice for a running watch with decent set of features. Forerunner 745 is an actively selling Forerunner watch. We look at the main features of the Forerunner 955 and Forerunner 745 to help you pick your next Forerunner. For the purpose of our comparison, we restrict our discussion to Forerunner 955 standard edition and Forerunner 745 watches. For the record, Forerunner 745 was introduced in 2020 and the Forerunner 955 has been recently released in June 2022.
Table of contents:
- Size and Display – Forerunner 955 vs Forerunner 745
- Battery – Forerunner 955 vs Forerunner 745
- Touchscreen – Forerunner 955 vs Forerunner 745
- Multi-band Frequency – Forerunner 955 vs Forerunner 745
- Golf – Forerunner 955 vs Forerunner 745
- Device Storage – Forerunner 955 vs Forerunner 745
- Swimming – Forerunner 955 vs Forerunner 745
- Spectator Messaging – Forerunner 955 vs Forerunner 745
- Other features – Forerunner 955 vs Forerunner 745
- Costs – Forerunner 955 vs Forerunner 745
Size and Display – Forerunner 955 vs Forerunner 745
Forerunner 955 is a slightly broader watch than the Forerunner 745 watch. We list some significant points about the size and display of Forerunner 955 and Forerunner 745 below:
- Forerunner 955 and Forerunner 745 have the lens material made of the Corning Gorilla DX glass. The DX anti-reflective coating adds to readability in sunlight.
- The body and bezel of Forerunner 955 and Forerunner 745 is made of a fiber-enforced polymer.
- Forerunner 955 has a physical size of 46.5 mm and Forerunner 745 has a size of 43.8 mm. The marginal increase in the size of Forerunner 955 has a cascading effect on the display resolution and battery capacity of the Forerunner 955.
- Forerunner 955 has a display screen of 33 mm and Forerunner 745 has a display screen of approximately 30 mm.
- The display resolution of Forerunner 955 is 260 x 260 pixels and the display resolution of Forerunner 745 is 240 x 240 pixels. The marginal difference can be attributed to the bigger screen of the Forerunner 955 watch.
- Forerunner 955 weighs 52 g and Forerunner 745 weighs 47 g.
- Both watches have the MIP screen or the memory in pixel screen on the watch.
The important point to note is that the lens material and body of both watches are identical. The difference lies in the size of both watches.
Battery – Forerunner 955 vs Forerunner 745
Battery is one of the strong points of a Forerunner 955.
- On the smartwatch mode, Forerunner 955 can last up to 15 days and Forerunner 745 can go up to 7 days.
- On the GPS mode, Forerunner 955 can work for up to 42 hours and Forerunner 745 can last for up to 16 hours.
- On the UltraTrac mode, Forerunner 955 can work for up to 80 hours and Forerunner 745 can last for up to 21 hours.
- Forerunner 955 can also work in a low power battery saver mode. The battery saver mode is unavailable on the Forerunner 745.
For runners, extended battery life is critically significant. Forerunner 955 is a definite upgrade in terms of battery life.
Touchscreen – Forerunner 955 vs Forerunner 745
Forerunner 955 has a touchscreen feature that can be turned on or off at your convenience. The Forerunner 745 does not have touchscreen functionality.
Both watches do have a color screen.
Multi-band Frequency – Forerunner 955 vs Forerunner 745
The multi-frequency positioning sensor is an addition on the Forerunner 955 smartwatch. This sensor allows you to take GPS data from multiple satellites at the same time. You could call this a multi-band frequency configuration for the Forerunner 955. Your Forerunner 955 will support GPS + GLONASS satellite systems in tandem.
The obvious benefit of multi-band frequency is the improvement in GPS accuracy. Especially, when you are on trail runs or in a city of skyscrapers. Forerunner 955 has fulfilled the demand of runners as they have been always looking to improve GPS accuracy of the runs.
Forerunner 745 does not have a multi-frequency positioning sensor and it does not support multi-band frequency.
Golf – Forerunner 955 vs Forerunner 745
Forerunner 955 comes with Golf support and it can work with Garmin Golf app. The best part is that the watch comes with 42000 preloaded golf maps or golf course data. Forerunner 955 supports the standard golf features including the Garmin Auto Shot feature.
Forerunner 745 does not support golf. You cannot download any golf course data or the Garmin Golf app on the Forerunner 745 smartwatch.
Device Storage – Forerunner 955 vs Forerunner 745
Forerunner 955 comes with 32 GB internal memory or device storage. The available space can be used for downloading topo or trail maps of multiple regions. You could also download and store personal audio content for offline music listening on the Forerunner 955 watch. Forerunner 955 can store up to 2000 songs on the device storage.
Forerunner 745 can store up to 500 songs. There is no separate mention about the available device storage for the Forerunner 745 watch.
Swimming – Forerunner 955 vs Forerunner 745
Forerunner 955 and Forerunner 745 have a water resistance rating of 5 ATM. This effectively means that both the Forerunners can work at a depth of 50 meters below water surface level. Both watches can take a depth pressure of 5 atmospheres.
Forerunner 955 and Forerunner 745 support pool water, open water and swim run profiles. In terms of swimming, both watches offer identical features and capabilities.
Spectator Messaging – Forerunner 955 vs Forerunner 745
Forerunner 955 comes with integrated spectator messaging feature. It is a safety feature that allows your followers to send you text messages. Spectator messaging is useful in distress situations as you can receive or send text messages through the paired smartphone connection. Forerunner 945 LTE did have the spectator messaging feature. But, it relied on the LTE or cellular network connection for establishing connection between the runner and the follower.
Forerunner 955, therefore, improves upon the spectator messaging feature by removing the dependency on the LTE connection on the smartwatch. The paired smartphone is used for all communication between the Forerunner 955 wearer and his live followers.
Forerunner 745 does not have the spectator messaging feature.
Other features – Forerunner 955 vs Forerunner 745
There are feature and function advancements on the Forerunner 955 watches over a Forerunner 745 watch. We will list only the main ones.
- Forerunner 955 comes with cycle maps. It also has additional cycling profiles for Gravel Biking, Bike Commuting, Bike Touring, eBiking, eMountain Biking, Road Biking, Cyclocross.
- Forerunner 955 has an additional gym profile for bouldering. It can also support the HIIT workouts.
- Forerunner 955 has an Ultra running profile.
- Forerunner 955 has additional outdoor recreation profiles for Snowshoeing, Mapping, Navigating, Tennis, Pickleball, Padel, Track Me, Project Waypoint.
Costs – Forerunner 955 vs Forerunner 745
Both watches come at a cost of $499.99. So, cost is not a differentiator between the Forerunner 955 and Forerunner 745 smartwatches.
Forerunner 955 is a vastly improved running watch over the Forerunner 745. The multi-band frequency support and extended battery life are the chief reasons for runners to prefer a Forerunner 955 over Forerunner 745. Spectator messaging is a handy feature to have for handling emergency support situations. It may be pertinent to mention that the Forerunner 745 is a 2 year old model of the Forerunner series. Forerunner 955 is a June 2022 smartwatch.
You may like to read more content related to the Garmin Forerunner watches given below:
- Fenix 7 vs Forerunner 955 Garmin watches
- Garmin Forerunner for Golf
- Garmin Forerunner watches with Garmin Pay
- Garmin Forerunner 955 vs Venu 2 Plus
Rajesh Dhawan is a technology professional who loves to blog about smart wearables, Cloud computing and Microsoft technologies. He loves to break complex problems into manageable chunks of meaningful information.