Forerunner 255 is an advanced watch for runners and Forerunner 745 is one of the more established variant. While the Forerunner 255 is a relatively newer model launched in June 2022, the Forerunner 745 was released in 2020. We look at the key features of both watches to help you understand the value each watch brings to the table. For the purpose of our study, we focus on the Forerunner 745 and Forerunner 255 standard edition.
Table of content:
- Physical Specifications
- Lens material
- Multi-point GPS
- Group Live Track
Forerunner 255 is a relatively broader watch.
- Forerunner 255 has a watch size of 46 mm and the Forerunner 745 has a watch size of 44 mm.
- The size of the display screen of Forerunner 255 is 33 mm and the Forerunner 745 has a display size of 30 mm.
- The larger screen on Forerunner 255 has a display resolution of 260 x 260 pixels. Forerunner 745 has a display resolution of 240 x 240 pixels.
- Both watches have memory-in-pixel or MIP screens. This has been one of the gripes with Forerunner. It does not have an AMOLED screen. This could be partly explained in terms of heavier usage of battery on a watch with AMOLED screen.
- Both watches have a body and bezel made of the fiber-enforced polymer. Fiber-enforced polymer helps to reduce the weight of the watch.
- Forerunner 255 weighs 49 g and Forerunner 745 weighs 47 g.
The bottom line, when it comes to screen and physical specifications of the Forerunner 745 and Forerunner 255 is that the Forerunner 255 is slightly better off than the Forerunner 745.
Forerunner 255 has a larger size and can afford better and bigger battery. On average, Forerunner 255 has almost twice the battery backup afforded by a Forerunner 745.
- On the smartwatch mode, Forerunner 255 can offer a backup of up to 14 days and the Forerunner 745 can last for up to 7 days.
- On the GPS mode, Forerunner 255 can last for up to 30 hours and the Forerunner 745 can last for up to 16 hours.
- Forerunner 255 also has a battery saver mode. It helps conserve battery life when you need it most. Battery saver mode can enhance the battery life of a Forerunner 255.
From the perspective of battery, the Forerunner 255 has better levels of backup. For runners, the Forerunner 255 affords ample backup to complete multiple runs with GPS activated on the watch.
The watch glass is made of lens that is suitable for wearables. Forerunner 745 is using Corning Gorilla Glass with a DX coating. Forerunner 255 uses Corning Gorilla Glass 3.
The DX coating on the watch improves readability in sunlight. It improves the contrast ratio of the display screen. The enhanced clarity and readability is made possible due to the anti-reflective coating on the watch screen.
Corning Gorilla Glass 3 is a relatively older glass for the smartwatches. It was released sometime in 2018 and continues to be one of the most commonly used lens material on smartwatches.
For the enhanced clarity during daytime, we will have to consider the Forerunner 745 lens material a much better material at the price of the Forerunner 745.
Forerunner 255 comes with a multi-frequency positioning sensor. It helps to get GPS data from multiple satellites at the same time. Essentially, the Forerunner 255 has multi-band frequency support. So, you will be able to make use of the GPS + GLONASS satellites at the same time. Using multiple GPS satellite systems, the accuracy of GPS data improves manifold. This is especially true when you are on remote trail runs or running in a city of skyscrapers.
Forerunner 745 does not support multi-frequency positioning or multi-band frequency. For this very reason, a Forerunner 255 is a vastly improved watch for enhanced GPS accuracy over the Forerunner 745 running watch.
Music feature on Garmin smartwatches includes the following abilities:
- ability to play music from the paired smartphone.
- ability to store and play music from the device storage of the watch.
- ability to play music through third-party music streaming apps like Spotify and Deezer.
The Forerunner 745 has an in-built device storage of 4 GB. It can store up to 500 songs on the watch storage for offline listening. Forerunner 745 can also control the music on the paired smartphone.
Forerunner 255 standard edition does not have the storage to store personal audio content on the watch. It cannot control or play the music on the paired smartphone. The music feature is unavailable on the Forerunner 255 standard edition. If you are fond of music content, you may want to get the Forerunner 255 Music edition.
The Forerunner 255 Music edition can store up to 500 songs on the watch storage. It can also control and play the music files store on the paired smartphone.
For music, you will need to opt for the Forerunner 255 Music edition or the Forerunner 745 smartwatch for runners.
Forerunner 745 and Forerunner 255 have a water rating of 5 ATM. This means that both watches can handle a depth pressure of 5 atmospheres. In other words, these watches can work up to a depth of 50 meters or 165 feet below the water surface level.
The 5 ATM water rating makes Forerunner 745 and Forerunner 255 suitable for pool water or open water swimming. Both watches come with swimming profiles for pool water swimming and open water swimming. The Forerunner 745, additionally, supports the swimrun profile.
In terms of swimming, there is not much of a difference between the Forerunner 745 and Forerunner 255.
WIFI – Forerunner 745 vs Forerunner 255
One of the most significant differences between the Forerunner 745 and Forerunner 255 is the availability of WIFI support on the Forerunner 745 running watch. Forerunner 255 does not come with WIFI support.
Both watches support the ANT+ and Bluetooth wireless protocols.
Group Live Track
Forerunner 745 has the ‘Group Live Track’ feature for your safety during trail runs or group expeditions. Forerunner 255 does not have the Group Live Track feature.
To make use of the Group Live Track feature on the Forerunner 745 watch, you will need to make use of the Garmin Connect app to create a group or runners or hikers. All the members of the group need to be within a distance of 40 Kms or 25 miles. Garmin Connect becomes a focal point for the Group Live Track feature to work.
The ‘Group Live Track’ feature on the Forerunner 745 uses the paired smartphone’s network for live tracking the members of the group.
The Group Live Track feature is a good safety feature to have. For the price difference of $150 between the Forerunner 255 and the Forerunner 745, the feature could make a substantial difference to enhanced safety while outdoors.
Forerunner 745 costs $499.99 as of now. It, however, is available at special discounted prices from time to time. The Forerunner 255 standard edition costs $349.99. Forerunner 255 is a value for money running watch.
Forerunner 255 is a decent watch that is suitable for advanced runners. Forerunner 745 is an elite watch for runners. I would pick a Forerunner 745 over the Forerunner 255 because of the music capabilities, DX coated lens material and enhanced battery life. The multi-band frequency is another plus point of the Forerunner 745. The price difference of $150 gets fully justified in terms of the additional capabilities and the ‘Group Live Track’ feature of the Forerunner 745 smartwatches.
You may also like to read the following content related to Garmin Forerunner watches below:
- Forerunner 955 vs Forerunner 745 Garmin running watches
- Venu 2S vs Forerunner 255S Music Garmin watches
- Fenix 7 vs Forerunner 955 Garmin watches
- Garmin Forerunner watch with elite running
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?