Fenix 7 Standard edition watch is the basic model in the Fenix 7 range. Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar is the top variant in the Fenix 7 series. Would you prefer Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar over the Fenix 7 Standard edition? Is Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar worth it? Let us check out the incremental features and functions of Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar over the Fenix 7 Standard edition.
Fenix 7 Standard edition costs $699.99 and the Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar costs $999.99. Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar is 50% pricier than the Fenix 7 Standard edition. The incremental spend of $300 gets you quite a few additions. We look at some key differential factors below.
Before sharing the subtle differences between the standard edition and Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar, you may want to check the price of both watches on the Amazon marketplace. As I write this, there is a 5 percent discount on the Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar.
This is one of the most significant differences between the Fenix 7 and Fenix 7X Sapphire solar smartwatches. Fenix 7 continues to use the Corning Gorilla Glass for the display lens material. I am a bit disappointed as Garmin could have easily placed a Corning Gorilla Glass with DX or DX+ coating for the Fenix 7 standard edition smartwatch.
Fenix 7X Sapphire uses Sapphire glass that could also assist in solar charging. Sapphire is the second hardest natural mineral available in the world. It is second to diamond in respect of hardness. Sapphire glass watches are virtually scratch proof. At the same time, a Sapphire glass watch is strong and the display panel can withstand a lot of wear and tear over the period of ownership of the watch.
The only downside of a Sapphire glass watch is poor brightness and poor readability experience. This is the reason that we suggest comparing a Fenix 7 with Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar in bright sunlight. The display of Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar will be dimmer than the Fenix 7 Standard edition.
On a side note, Sapphire glass is at least 10 times more expensive than the Corning Gorilla Glass. It is also heavier than the Corning Gorilla Glass. For people who vouch for green living, it may be pertinent to mention that the carbon footprint of manufacturing Sapphire glass is considerably higher than the Corning Gorilla Glass.
Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar is s solar watch. It can use sunlight to charge the watch battery. However, it is pertinent to mention a caveat. Solar charging on Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar requires the following two conditions to be fulfulled for optimal results:
- Your solar watch must be exposed to bright sunlight for at least 3 hours every day.
- Sunlight with 50000 lux brightness is needed to solar charge the battery effectively.
The key is exposure to sunlight for at least 3 hours a day. If you stay indoors all through the day, a solar watch may not be suitable for you. But, if you are outdoors in bright sunlight, a solar watch would boost your battery charge very effectively.
Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar is a broader watch than the Fenix 7 Standard edition. As a result of the broader size, the physical attributes of Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar are slighlty bigger. We mention the important screen factors of Fenix 7 and Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar below:
- Fenix 7 is a 47 mm watch while the Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar is a 51 mm watch.
- Fenix 7 is ideal for a wrist size between 125-208 mm while the Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar is ideal for wrist size between 127-210 mm.
- Fenix 7 has a weight of 79 g while the Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar has a weight of 89 g.
- Fenix 7 has a watch size of 1.3″ or 33 mm. Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar has a watch size of 1.4″ or a little under 36 mm.
- Fenix 7 has a thickness of 14.5 mm while Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar has a thickness of 14.9 mm.
Due to the larger size of Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar smartwatch the display resolution of Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar is marginally better at 280 x 280 pixels. Fenix 7 has a display resolution of 260 x 260 pixels.
Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar has a much better battery life than the Fenix 7 standard edition smartwatch. This is on expected lines. Fenix 7X is bigger sized. It uses a bigger battery. And, it can use solar charging to build the capacity of battery. Both factors of size and solar charging contribute to an extended battery life of Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar watch.
- On the smartwatch mode, Fenix 7 can last for up to 18 days. Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar can last for up to 28 days. With solar charging, Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar battery can last for up to 37 days. To lend a perspective to the battery life of Fenix 7 or Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar watches, you need to compare these against 24 hours battery life of Apple Watch 7.
- On the GPS mode, Fenix 7 can last for up to 57 hours. Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar has a battery life of up to 89 days. With solar charging, the battery life can extend up to 122 days.
Fenix series smartwatches have the best battery life in town. Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar will be very suitable for a professional athlete, triathlete, trail runner, hiker or outdoor sports person.
Fenix 7 has a device storage of 16 GB and Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar has a device storage of 32 GB. Device storage is the internal memory or storage within the watch. Device storage is useful for the following reasons:
- Device storage can be used to store personal audio content for offline music listening.
- Device storage allows you to download trail maps or topo maps on the watch for your solo trips.
Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar comes with preloaded trail maps and topo maps. So, you do not have to downloaded these or buy these for an incremental charge. Fenix 7 does not come preloaded with any maps. You can still download maps on Fenix 7 using the WiFi connection.
Both watches, Fenix 7 and Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar have the touchscreen feature.
Fenix 7 and Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar have a water resistance rating of 10 ATM or 10 Atmospheres. This implies that the watches can sustain a depth pressure of 100 meters or 330 feet below water surface level.
Both watches come with profiles for pool swimming and open water swimming.
However, 10 ATM water rating does not make either watch suitable for deep water sports or snorkeling. So, you may want to make sure that Fenix 7 or Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar are not used for snorkeling.
Multi-point frequency allows you to take GPS data from multiple systems simultaneously. Multi-point frequency sensor on Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar allows the watch to use multiple frequencies at the same time. With the multi-point GNSS data, Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar is able to offer more accurate GPS positions. Multi-band frequency can be considered a dual band frequency system.
Multi-point frequency is an advanced feature on running watches that include the Forerunner 955 series watches. By replication the dual band or multi-point frequency positioning sensor on Fenix 7 Sapphire Solar, Garmin has rolled in exceptional level of detailed and accurate running data on the watch.
Fenix 7 standard edition does not have multi-frequency positioning sensor or dual band frequency.
What am I gaining on Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar over Fenix 7?
For an incremental cost of $300, you get the following on Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar watch:
- Sapphire glass
- Solar charging
- Better battery life
- Multi-point frequency positioning
- Double the device storage
- Preloaded trail and topo maps
Fenix 7 is available for a little over $700 on the Amazon store for Fenix 7 while the Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar is listed for $999.99.
Aside from the unique differences between Fenix 7 and Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar, both watches share the most common health monitoring and heart monitoring features. Some of the most common features that are common across both watch variants are mentioned below:
- Wrist-based heart rate monitoring
- Abnormal heart rate alerts are sent to the wearer.
- Daily heart resting rate
- Body Battery levels to track fatigue
- Blood Oxygenation tracking
- Health snapshot
- Body temperature readings
- Respiration rate tracking on 24 x 7 basis
- Sleep tracking and sleep score insights
- Women’s health monitoring
- Hydration levels
- Separate sensors for GPS, GLONASS and Galileo satellite systems
- Cycling and Swimming Profiles
- Golf app with preloaded golf course data of 42,000 maps.
Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar is the top most variant of the Fenix 7 series smartwatches. It can work as a fitness or running watch for professional athletes and triathletes. Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar is more expensive than Fenix 7.
But, we believe that the differential pricing is very much justified for Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar. If you have the budget, Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar could be the best multi-dimensional watch you could buy. And the Fenix series has a solid reputation of lasting for extended period of time. For a hassle free period of ownership, trust Garmin Fenix 7 or Garmin Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar watches.
You may like to read more content related to Fenix 7 smartwatches:
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Helen Kurt is a geeky nerd who loves to cover the wearables space. She has over 5 years of experience in the smartwatch domain. You can reach her on email at [email protected].