Fenix 7 has introduced three smartwatch models with Sapphire glass. Fenix 7S Sapphire Solar, Fenix 7 Sapphire Solar, and the Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar. We look at the key differentiators between these three Sapphire Solar watches from the Fenix 7 series.
Fenix 7S Sapphire vs Fenix 7 Sapphire vs Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar smartwatches
We evaluate the three smartwatch models of the Sapphire editon from the Fenix 7 series. Most differences are in terms of the physical size and appearance. The core features remain unchanged on all the three Sapphire watches from the Fenix 7 series.
All the three Sapphire watches have Sapphire glass. Sapphire is the third hardest natural mineral available. It has a hardness between 8-9 Mohs. Watch screen made of the Sapphire glass makes it virtually unscratchable. And, this is the reason that the Sapphire glass watches are considered premium and offer a sturdy look for the wearer.
Size and apperance – Fenix 7S Sapphire vs Fenix 7 Sapphire vs Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar
Fenix 7S Sapphire is the smallest of the three Sapphire edition Fenix 7 watches. Beyond the size, the size of the band and the display resolution of fenix 7S Sapphire are lower than the other two Sapphire variants of the Fenix 7 smartwatch.
- Fenix 7S Sapphire watch has a physical size of 42 mm, Fenix 7 Sapphire is 47 mm in size. Fenix 7X Sapphire has a size of 51 mm. Fenix 7S Sapphire is ideally suited for thin wrists, while the Fenix 7X Sapphire is a bulky watch that would like nice on broard wrists. Fenix 7 Sapphire is more on the universal size of the watch that would complement most wrists, thin or broad.
- Fenix 7S Sapphire has a screen size of 30 mm, Fenix 7 Sapphire has a screen size of 33 mm and Fenix 7X Sapphire display screen is a little under 36 mm.
- Fenix 7S Sapphire comes with a silicon band of 20 mm, Fenix 7 Sapphire has a band of 22 mm and Fenix 7X Sapphire has a silicon band of 26 mm.
- Fenix 7S Sapphire weighs 58 g, Fenix 7 Sapphire weighs 73 g and Fenix 7X Sapphire weighs 89 g. The size difference can be easily attributed to the bigger size of the Fenix 7X Sapphire edition smartwatch.
- Display resolution of Fenix 7S Sapphire is 240 x 240 pixels; Fenix 7 Sapphire Solar is 260 x 260 pixels and Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar has a display resolution of 280 x 280 pixels. The display resolution variations across the three Sapphire solar watch models of Fenix 7 are marginal improvements.
In terms of physical attributes, it all boils down to your personal discretion and choice. Do consider the smartwatch that would look apt for your wrist size.
Battery life – Fenix 7S Sapphire vs Fenix 7 Sapphire vs Fenis 7X Sapphire Solar
The battery life of the Fenix Sapphire Solar watches depend upon solar charging and the normal charging. For solar charging to be effective in building up charge on the battery, you need to wear the Sapphire edition Fenix 7 watch on a bright sunny day with a luminosity of over 50,000 lux. Fenix 7 Sappphire watches need to be exposed to direct sunlight for at least 3 hours in a day. If you are unable to expose your Garmin Fenix 7 Sapphire Solar to direct sunlight for a minimum of 3 hours a day, solar charging may not add to the battery life of your Sapphire Solar watch.
This also implies that the Sapphire Solar watch may not be the most appropriate smartwatch for people who work indoors. Should you want it for the Sapphire glass’s inherent characteristics, you could definitely get one.
Below, we discuss the battery life of the different Fenix 7 Sapphire Solar watches.
|Watch Mode||Fenix 7S Solar||Fenix 7 Solar||Fenix 7X Solar|
|Smartwatch Mode||11-14 days with solar charging||18-22 days with solar charging||28-37 days with solar charging|
|Battery Saver Watch Mode||38-87 days||27-173 days||90-365 days|
|GPS Only||37-46 hours||57-73 hours||89-122 hours|
|All Satellite Systems||26-30 hours||40-48 hours||63-77 hours|
|Max Battery GPS||90-162 hours||136-289 hours||213-578 hours|
|Expedition Mode||26-43 days||40-74 days||62-139 days|
Bigger sized Fenix 7X Sapphire has a bigger battery to afford higher battery life. Solar charging’s success will decide about the exact battery life of the Fenix 7 Sapphire Solar series smartwatches.
Other Features – Fenix 7S Sapphire vs Fenix 7 Sapphire vs Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar
There are a few marginal differences between the Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar and the other two Sapphire Solar watch models. These may be considered incremental feature improvements over the Fenix 7S and Fenix 7 Sapphire Solar smartwatches.
- Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar has a LED flashlight that can be activated by double tapping the watch screen.
- Tennis outdoor recreation profile has been added on the Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar. This will allow you to initiate Tennis activity and even calculate the distance factor in a game of Tennis.
- Pickleball outdoor recreatioin profile has also been added on the Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar.
These incremental features on the Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar watch edition could be useful for specific use scenarios. However, the Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar is pricier than the other two Fenix 7 Sapphire watches by $100. The price difference may not mean much as you get a higher capacity battery on the Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar watch.
- Fenix 7S Sapphire Solar costs $899.99.
- Fenix 7 Sapphire Solar costs $899.99.
- Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar costs $999.99.
The Sapphire Solar editions of Fenix 7 smartwatches offer solar-charged battery and a watch screen made of Sapphire glass. The watch looks very sturdy and is virtually unscratchable. Between the three Sapphire Solar watches from the Fenix 7 series, Fenix 7X Solar has an improved battery capacity and is bigger sized that the other two Fenix Sapphire Solar versions. Essentially, you need to take a call on what works best for you. All the 3 smartwatches, Fenix 7 Sapphire Solar, Fenix 7S Sapphire Solar and the Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar are made up of the Sapphire glass, making it almost scratch proof.
You may also like to read the following content related to Fenix smartwatches:
- Fenix 7S Solar vs Fenix 7 Solar v Fenix 7X Solar Watches
- Garmin Fenix 7 vs Epix 2 Smartwatches
- Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar vs Fenix 7 Sapphire Solar smartwatches
- Garmin Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar vs Fenix 6X Pro Solar smartwatches
- Fenix 7 Sapphire Solar vs Fenix 7S Solar
- Fenix 7 vs Fenix 6 smart watches
Rajesh Dhawan is a technology professional who loves to blog about smart wearables, Cloud computing and Microsoft technologies. He loves to break complex problems into manageable chunks of meaningful information.