Starting last week of August, Garmin Fenix 6 devices are being sent updated firmware. The initial firmware update version of 19.10 has been superseded by a new version 19.20 for Fenix 6 devices. All Fenix 6 series watches are covered in this latest firmware update. You can find instructions about Fenix 19.20 firmware update on this page – https://www.techepages.com/fenix-6-firmware-19-20-updated-09-02-2021/.
The firmware version 19.20 supersedes the Fenix 6 firmware version 19.10. Almost 20% of Fenix devices would have received the updated firmware as of today i.e. September 3rd, 2021.
One of the key aspects of the 19.20 version firmware upgrade of Fenix 6 series is that the GPS gets upgraded from 5.0 to 5.30. Below, you will find the links to download the update files manually and update your Fenix 6 series device.
You can download the Fenix 6 series 19.20 version firmware from the following links for Fenix, Fenix 6S, Fenix 6X, Fenix 6X Pro and Fenix 6X Pro Solar:
Please ensure that you are downloading the correct beta software for your specific device.
- Fenix 6s: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=15166
- Fenix 6s Pro: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=15164
- Fenix 6: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=15162
- Fenix 6 Pro: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=15160
- Fenix 6x Pro: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=15168
Garmin started rolling out the firmware 19.10 to Fenix 6 series smart watches in the last week of August. This firmware update has now been further upgraded to version 19.20. This 19.20 firmware will be rolled out over the next few weeks on all smart watches of the Fenix 6 series. So, the firmware update will apply to Fenix 6, Fenix 6S, Fenix 6X, Fenix 6X Pro and Fenix 6X Pro Solar.
In the initial lot of updating Fenix devices, the update has been rolled out to 10% devices. Feedback from the said update may be taken before rolling out the update to more number of Fenix 6 series smart watches. Forums on Garmin website do see users complaining of major battery drain after the 19.10 firmware update. However, it remains to be seen if this is limited to a few users or felt by a higher number of Fenix 6 users.
How do I update firmware on Fenix 6 series smart watches?
Firmware updates on the Fenix 6 series smart watches can be done through the smart watch. Or, you could also download the firmware update on your computer and let Garmin Express app on the computer to handle the update on the connected Fenix 6 watch. We will review both ways to update the firmware on a Fenix 6 watch.
Before updating the firmware on a Fenix 6 smart watch, we need to ensure that automatic updates are turned on your device. This is the default setting on Fenix 6 series watches. To check if automatic updates are enabled for the smart watch, please see the instructions below:
- Hold Menu on the smart watch of Fenix 6 series.
- Choose System
- You will see an option – Software updates. Toggle the on/off option to enable or disable automatic updates.
We need to make sure that software updates are set for automatic updates.
How to check firmware on Fenix 6 series watch?
As a standard practice, it is a wise thing to note the current firmware version on the Fenix 6 series watch. This should be done before each attempted update.
To know the current firmware version on a Fenix 6 watch, please follow the instructions below:
- Hold Menu
- Choose System
- Choose About
In the About section, you will see the current firmware version installed on the Garmin Fenix 6 series watch. These instructions are applicable to Fenix 6, Fenix 6S, Fenix 6X, Fenix 6X Pro and Fenix 6X Pro Solar watches.
Update firmware on Fenix 6 from the watch itself
- Before performing a firmware update, please do make sure that your Fenix 6 series watch has adequate charging. We do not want a situation of the watch shutting off during the middle of the update. Generally the firmware updates are pretty fast and contain a small file of less than 100 Mb size. These firmware updates can sometimes be interchangeably called as system updates.
- On a similar note, your mobile phone must have adequate charge. It should also have a good Wi-Fi connection or cellular connection to the Internet. The firmware update file is sent from Garmin servers to the mobile phone.
- Garmin connect app on the mobile phone will also be needed for the smooth update of the firmware on Fenix 6 series watch. We need to make sure that the Garmin connect app on the phone works without any errors before initiating the update on the smart watch.
- Setup the mobile phone hosting Garmin connect app and pair it with the Garmin Fenix 6 series watch. A good quality pairing is desired for the smooth transition to the latest firmware update.
- Launch the Garmin connect app, and check the Garmin icon to see if there is a firmware update that is available for your Fenix 6 series watch. If the Garmin connect app finds a firmware on the Garmin server, it will pull the file or the server will push the firmware file on to the mobile phone.
- Now, we need to sync the smart watch with the Garmin connect app. Through the mobile phone, the file will be pushed to the device i.e. the Fenix 6 series watch’s device storage. So, we are effectively using the Internet connection to download the firmware from Garmin to the phone. From thereon, the phone sends the firmware on to the device, for an eventual installation on the Fenix 6 series watch.
In the entire update cycle of Fenix 6 series watches to the latest firmware update, we use an automated approach through the Garmin connect app on the mobile phone to handle the update.
Update Fenix 6 series watch from Garmin Express
The firmware or system update for a Fenix 6 series watch can also be installed using the Garmin Express app on your computer. Most people prefer using the Garmin Express app to perform firmware updates. Map and Golf course updates can only happen through the Garmin express app on the computer. This is because map and golf course update files are massive in size and cannot be transferred seamlessly using a BLE paired connection.
To perform a firmware update on the Fenix 6 series watch, we will use the instructions below:
- Install the Garmin express app on your computer.
- Use a USB cable and connect your device to the computer.
- Using Garmin express, connect to the Garmin website and download the firmware update on your computer. In effect, if the firmware update is available, Garmin express will pull the firmware files on your computer.
- From the computer, Garmin express will send the firmware update files to the device. This will complete the update cycle on the Fenix 6 series watch using Garmin express app on the computer.
The latest firmware as of August 2021 for a Fenix 6 series watch is 19.10. Updating firmware on the Fenix 6 watches can be completed using Garmin connect app on the device or using the Garmin express app on the computer. If possible, prefer doing an update on the Fenix 6 series watch using the Garmin express app on the computer with a USB connection to your Fenix device.
Rajesh Dhawan is a technology professional who loves to blog about smart wearables, Cloud computing and Microsoft technologies. He loves to break complex problems into manageable chunks of meaningful information.