No, the watch faces of Samsung Watch 3 will not work on Samsung Watch 4. This can be explained on account of the different operating systems on both the watches. Samsung Watch 3 is based on the Tizen operating system. Tizen is proprietary to Samsung. Samsung Watch 4 is based on the Wear OS, a wearable operating system that is developed by Google.
Watch faces that you may have bought from the Samsung store on Samsung Watch 3 will be restricted for use to Tizen based watches. For the Wear OS, you will need to get new watch faces. The good thing is that you will have many more options on the Google Wear OS based marketplace for watch faces.
Over a period of time, you may get the old watch faces ported over to the Samsung Watch 4 by developers or by Samsung. It is not confirmed. But, it may happen in the near future.
How can I change watch faces on Samsung Watch 4?
To change watch face on Samsung Watch 4 from the watch itself or from the Galaxy app. Before changing the watch face, you will need to download the latest watch faces from the Samsung Galaxy store. To download watch faces from the Samsung Galaxy store, please follow the instructions below:
- Press the Home button and tap on Galaxy Store icon
- Scroll through to find and tap on Watch faces
- Rotate the bezel or swipe up/down to find your desired watch face, and then tap Install. (Note that you may be asked to allow permissions for certain features depending on the respective watch face.)
- Wait for installation to complete. Once done, tap Apply
- Your installed watch face should now be displayed
This will install the custom watch faces downloaded from the Samsung store on your Samsung Watch 4.
How to change Samsung Watch 4 faces using app?
You may also change the watch face on Samsung Watch 4 using the Wearable app.
- Launch Galaxy Wearable app
- Tap on the Watch Faces tab at the bottom
- Swipe up/down and left/right to browse through the various watch faces. Tap to select the one you want.
- Your watch face will change according to the one you select through your mobile device
The process above will change the watch face to a face that exists on the watch. You may download more watch faces from the Samsung Galaxy store and follow the process above to change it to your newly downloaded watch face on the Samsung Watch 4.
Samsung Watch 4 is based on the Wear OS, and therefore, you will need to download watch faces that are compatible with the Wear OS. Watch faces that work on older Samsung watch models like the Samsung Watch 3 will not work on the Wear OS. This is because of different operating systems on the older models of Samsung Watch and the newest Samsung Watch 4. Older Samsung watch models were based on the Tizen operating system. It is unclear if the older watch faces will be ported to the new watch models by the developers or Samsung.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Helen Kurt is a geeky nerd who loves to cover the wearables space. She has over 5 years of experience in the smartwatch domain. You can reach her on email at [email protected].