Fitbit Sense received the last firmware update on 27th November, 2021. Initially, the firmware update was pushed live on a lesser number of active devices. Eventually, by 7th December 2021, the latest firmware update for the Fitbit Sense devices has been pushed to all the eligible devices. Below, we look at the current version of the Fitbit operating system and the Fitbit firmware that ought to be installed on the Fitbit Sense watches.
What is the current firmware version for Fitbit Sense?
As of December 2021, the Fitbit Sense should be running the OS version 5.3 and the firmware version 22.214.171.124. The Fitbit OS version succeeds the previous OS version 5.2.1. The update on the operating system seeks to address bug fixes and bring in product improvements.
The latest firmware version, 126.96.36.199, will install the corresponding operating system version 5.3 on the Fitbit Sense watches. In other words, you will receive a notification about the latest firmware on your Fitbit Sense smart watch. Upon downloading the latest firmware version 188.8.131.52, your Fitbit Sense device’s firmware will be updated. Additionally, the Fitbit app will be update to the latest version as well.
You do not need to download the Fitbit OS update 5.3 separately. Everything runs as part of the consolidated firmware version 184.108.40.206.
Can I download the Fitbit firmware version 220.127.116.11 or OS version 5.3 manually?
Fitbit does not publish the firmware update files for a manual update process. As a best practice, the Fitbit OS and firmware updates are pushed from the Fitbit servers to the eligible Fitbit apps. The Fitbit app will download the firmware and push it to the Fitbit Sense watch that is paired with the Fitbit app.
So, your best bet is to wait for the notification to arrive in your Fitbit app. Once you receive the notification of an impending update, you can schedule an hour or so for the actual update to execute on your Fitbit Sense device.
To check if your Fitbit Sense has an eligible firmware update, please follow the instructions below:
- Click on the Sense image on the Fitbit app.
- If an update is available, please press the Update button to initiate the update process through the Fitbit app.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to download the latest firmware 18.104.22.168 on your Fitbit app and the Fitbit Sense watch.
In case you wish to initiate an update on your own, you can do so by visiting the fitbit.com website dashboard. You can check for updates’ availability through the Fitbit connect app on your computer. If an update is available, you can use the Fitbit connect app to download the update to your computer and then update it on the device.
To load the firmware by initiating a connection through your computer, we will follow the instructions below:
- Open the Fitbit connect app on your computer.
- Click on Main Menu —-> Troubleshooting —–> Check for device update
- If an update is available, login to the Fitbit.com dashboard.
- Download the update and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
Technically speaking, you could choose any of these 2 options to update the firmware on your Fitbit Sense watch. I prefer doing the firmware update through the Fitbit app that runs in the background on my mobile.
Can I rollback the firmware update on Fitbit Sense watch?
Once you have initiated the firmware update through the Fitbit app or through the Fitbit connect app on your computer, you cannot roll back to the previous version of the Fitbit firmware or the operating system. This makes it imperative to ensure that the firmware update is scheduled when you have adequate time for the firmware update process to complete.
Are there any special conditions to follow before Fitbit Sense firmware update?
Before updating the firmware on your Fitbit Sense watch to the version 22.214.171.124, please make sure you are ready with the following:
- spare at least an hour for the firmware update to complete. It, generally, takes lesser time than an hour. But, it may be a good idea to give it an hour for the firmware update for a Fitbit Sense smart watch.
- If you are updating through the Fitbit app, please make sure that the mobile has a good Internet connectivity to download the firmware files from the Fitbit servers. A good Internet connection is a critical requirement for the firmware update to complete successfully.
- Do ensure that your mobile and the Fitbit Sense device have a good paired connection. Keep the Fitbit Sense watch close to your mobile, the one on which Fitbit app is installed. Fitbit app and the on-device Fitbit Sense firmware files need to have a clear, and robust Bluetooth signal for the update to flow seamlessly.
- Do ensure that your mobile and the Fitbit Sense smart watch have adequate battery charge to last through the update cycle for at least an hour.
Aside from these general restrictions or conditions, there are no specific requirements while updating the firmware on a Fitbit Sense smart watch.
My Fitbit Sense update is hanging. Any clues?
The Fitbit firmware update will hang or show no response when,
- you have a bad Internet connection between the Fitbit app and the Fitbit servers. This is assuming you are doing an update through the Fitbit app.
- you have a bad Internet connection between the Fitbit connect and the Fitbit servers. This is assuming you are doing an update through Fitbit connect and fitbit.com dashboard.
- The Bluetooth connection between your mobile and the paired Fitbit Sense suffers from bad signal strength.
- Fitbit app is not running in the background on your mobile phone.
- Your Fitbit Sense smart watch dies out due to low charge, causing the firmware update to stall.
In most cases, it is a bad Internet connect that stalls the firmware update on the Fitbit Sense watch.
Updating the Fitbit Sense smart watch to the firmware 126.96.36.199 is a straight forward task. You just need to make sure that the firmware update follows the normal process, and take care of the Internet connection and adequate charge on the watch and the mobile phone.
How can I know that I am running the latest firmware version 188.8.131.52 on my Fitbit Sense?
This is pretty easy, actually. On the Fitbit app, click on your Fitbit Sense device image. This will list the firmware version running on your Fitbit Sense smart watch.
As of December 2021, the Fitbit Sense firmware version has been updated to the firmware version 184.108.40.206. It has already been pushed to the eligible Fitbit Sense devices by Fitbit. If you have not updated it yet, please use the Fitbit app (preferred approach) to update the firmware on your Fitbit Sense watch. Or, you could just use the Fitbit.com website to pull the files on your computer through Fitbit Connect.
You may also like to read the following content related to Fitbit Sense and Fitbit Versa smart watches:
- Fitbit operating system update 5.3 for Fitbit Sense and Fitbit Versa 3
- Does Fitbit Sense have music?
- Fitbit Versa Firmware update – VERSION 220.127.116.11
- Fitbit Sense smart watch – firmware update
- Fitbit Versa 3 – latest firmware update
- Fitbit Sense Battery Replacement
Helen is a geeky nerd who seeks to find and fix tech gaps in the latest gadgets. She is always on the lookout for resolving technical queries of users, and is an avid writer on technical subjects.