Garmin Fenix 3 is a smart watch that comes with a re-chargeable Lithium ion battery. It is expected that the Fenix 3 battery will easily last for 2-3 years. As an owner of a Garmin Fenix 3 smart watch, your natural question would be – Can Fenix 3 battery be replaced? Or, would you need to buy a new replacement watch from Garmin?
Fenix 3 can be repaired and its battery can be replaced. You could opt to get it repaired by the Garmin service team. If your Fenix 3 is out of warranty, you will be offered services by Garmin on a paid basis. The Garmin service support will offer battery replacement as an out-of warranty service. When last checked, Garmin usually charged £100-130 for Fenix 3 battery replacement. This may have changed. Your best bet is to contact Garmin support to know the exact costs associated with the battery replacement of a Fenix 3. in the US, the same amount would be in the range of $80-120. The good thing is that Garmin does provide the services and your watch should work fine after the battery replacement. Although the battery replacement is pricey, it gives you an added assurance if Garmin does it at one of its service centers in the UK or the US. You are paying for the service assurance that comes with the Fenix 3 being serviced at an official service center.
If you are a DIY kind of guy, you may check out the iFixit video to replace Fenix 3 battery. You can order the Lithium-ion battery online. It should be a little under £20 in UK and a little under $25 in the US. The Fenix 3 battery is generally available on the Amazon site as well. A watch repair shop could also replace the Garmin Fenix 3 battery. Costs would be obviously lower than what Garmin would charge for the official support channel. In case you opt to get a battery sourced on your own, please find the information related to the part number:
- Replacement Battery for the Garmin Fenix 3, Fenix 3 HR, fits Part Number 361-00034-02,
- 3.7V Li-Polymer 300mAh/1.1Wh.
- Item model number: 361-00034-02
This is a 300 mAH battery imported from China. It has a listed price of $17 on Amazon.
Getting the Fenix 3 battery replaced from a non-Garmin or local market service center has a couple of challenges that you need to be aware of:
- the new Li-ion battery put in by the third party service center may not offer you the battery charge life that an original Garmin battery would. In normal circumstances, Fenix 3 battery should last at least 6 days on a full charge. A non-Garmin battery may not afford you the same battery life.
- the non-Garmin battery may drain faster than an original battery replaced by the Garmin service center. Always-on display is a resource hog on most smart watches. A non-Garmin battery may not offer you the watch experience and performance that you bought the Fenix 3 for.
- lastly, Fenix 3 is a sealed unit. When you get the battery replaced at a non-Garmin repair shop or service center, you are not sure if the seal is replaced in a proper way. Essentially, you are playing with the waterproofing capability of your Fenix 3 watch. Can you be sure that the third party that replaced your battery will have ensured that the seal is replaced properly and waterproof characteristic of the Fenix 3 is not impacted?
The decision to get the battery replaced is always looked at from the expense point of view. In my opinion, you should spare a thought about the watch performance before taking a call on the battery replacement from a third party.
The good thing, however, is that Garmin does offer support to you. This is true whether your product is in warranty or it is out of warranty. That’s what a good company does. Prolong the life of your Fenix 3 with an official battery replacement from Garmin.
Helen is a geeky nerd who seeks to find and fix tech gaps in the latest gadgets. She is always on the lookout for resolving technical queries of users, and is an avid writer on technical subjects.