Azure’s AZ 104 certification is one of the hardest Azure certifications that prepares you for real-world Azure administration. It is a straight progression from the AZ 900 Azure Fundamentals exam. While the AZ 900 exam gives you a conceptual understanding of the Microsoft Azure Cloud platform, AZ 104 prepares you for actual hands-on administration. Needless to say, clearing the AZ 104 exam requires practical experience on the Azure cloud platform. It would be overkill to read the Microsoft Learn modules and attempt the certification exam because you will not pass. Here, we will lay out the details of the Microsoft Azure Administrator exam and how you can embark on a journey towards becoming a certified Micorosft Azure Administrator.
Azure AZ 104 Microsoft Azure Administrator – Basics
The fundamentals of the Azure AZ 104 exam are mentioned below for your ready reference:
- You need to score 700 out of 1000 to pass the AZ 104 Microsoft Azure Administrator exams.
- Within a period of 12 months, you can take the certification exam 5 times. In other words, if you fail AZ 104 the first time, you will get another four attempts at the exam to clear it in a 12-month period.
- If you are unable to clear the AZ 104 the first time, you can retake the exam. Between the first and second attempts of the AZ 104 exam, you need to wait for 24 hours. For subsequent attempts, there is a 14-day waiting period.
- You could get anywhere between 50 to 70 questions on the AZ 104 exam. The exam tracks your progress on a progressive basis through the questions being answered correctly. So, there is no fixed number of questions because the entire exercise is dynamic in nature.
- The exam duration is 100 minutes. Prior to starting the exam, you are allowed 20 minutes to arrange your seat and work with your online proctor for verification. You are allowed 100 minutes to answer the questions in your exam. Given an average of 60 questions, you need to answer each in an average time of 90 seconds.
- There are no labs on the AZ 104 Azure Administrator exam as of now. But the case studies will test your knowledge in depth.
- One of the most significant tips we want to share is about an inability to review the past sections of the exam. Yes, the AZ 104 Azure Administrator exam is divided into sections. You can review the questions within the same section by going BACK. But, you cannot go BACK from one section to another. Before finalizing your section responses, do make sure you have reviewed all the questions in that section.
- There are no eligibility conditions or requirements to study and pass the AZ 104 Azure Administrator Exam.
- AZ 104 certification is valid for a period of one year from the date on which you pass your exam. Within the next 12 months, you will need to take a reassessment test. If you pass the reassessment test, your AZ 104 certification will renew for another year. The reassessment test is taken by Microsoft. There are no costs to take a reassessment test to renew the AZ 104 certification within the year of passing the AZ 104 exam of Azure Administrator.
How do I study for AZ 104 Azure Administrator Exam?
We suggest a mix of Microsoft Learn, John Savill’s exam-cram, and Measure UP mock exams for studying AZ 104 Microsoft Azure Administrator Exam. You could also choose to work through the Pluralsight course. It is, however, in extreme depth and may require a higher time commitment. We discuss the exam strategy below.
- Microsoft Learn – Microsoft Learn continues to be the best starting point for AZ 104 exam. The exam track on Microsoft Learn is divided into 5 sections with a total of 48 modules.
- Azure subscription – You cannot pass AZ 104 without hands-on experience on the Azure platform. You must be comfortable with using PowerShell. And, you must be well versed in creating instances, managing networks and serverless components of the Azure cloud architecture. We suggest taking up Microsoft’s free program and sandbox environment for Azure students. You can find more details about the Microsoft Azure labs for students on this page.
- Github Labs for Azure AZ 104 – Microsoft’s Github labs for AZ 104 are the best resources for practicing Azure administration. You can find the details of Microsoft AZ 105 Github labs on this page. You must strive to take up and complete these labs before enrolling for the actual test.
John Savill’s Exam Cram for AZ 104 – John Savill’s youtube exam-cram video session will provide a consolidated Azure AZ 104 preparation assistance. This is a 4-hour refresher course on Youtube that will take you through AZ 104 exam preparation and administration tasks. In my opinion, this is a very useful course to tie everything together in terms of concepts, practice, and implementation.
AZ 104 Mock Exams
Mock exams or preparatory exams are useful resources for studying AZ 104 Azure Administrator test. In my opinion, you could work on clearing WhizLabs or Measure-UP exams before enrolling for the actual AZ 104 exam.
WhizLabs – WhizLabs has been around for quite some time. It has built a good reputation for sample exams for the Azure cloud platform. WhizLabs offers AZ 104 sample exams that test you on each and every module of the AZ 104 exam. The only concern with WhizLabs is the lack of coherent language on its questions. I guess WhizLabs needs a good editorial team to re-phrase questions so that these make more sense on the first pass.
Measure UP – Measure UP offers sample exams for AZ 104. These exams are harder than the actual AZ 104 exam. But, the questions are phrased well and would make sense on the first pass itself. Compared to WhizLabs, Measure UP is more expensive. But, there is no doubt that the Measure UP exams are quality exams. If you can crack Measure UP honestly, you should pass the AZ 104 exam without much delay.
AZ 104 is a very useful exam for Microsoft Azure administration. For people with prior experience on the Azure cloud platform, AZ 104 certification could offer new avenues and salary increments. For people starting up on the Azure cloud platform, it would be better to start with the AZ 900 Azure Fundamentals Exam. Once cleared, you could start preparing for the Azure AZ 104 exam.
Rajesh Dhawan is a technology professional who loves to blog about smart wearables, Cloud computing and Microsoft technologies. He loves to break complex problems into manageable chunks of meaningful information.