Android security update was last released on 5 February 2024. The update addresses security vulnerabilities in the Android devices. The latest security update is a combination of security updates released on 1 February 2024 and 5 February 2024.
Security Update 01 February 2024
- There are 9 security vulnerabilities affecting the Android framework. All these are HIGH severity threats. The patch for these was released on 01 February 2024
- There are 6 security vulnerabilities affecting the Android system. One of these is a CRITICAL security vulnerability CVE-2024-0031. The other 5 have HIGH severity levels. The patch for these was released on 01 February 2024.
- No Google Play vulnerabilities were reported in this security update
Devices that use the 2024-02-01 security patch level must include all issues associated with that security patch level, as well as fixes for all issues reported in previous security bulletins.
Security Update 05 February 2024
- 3 security vulnerabilities have been patched for the ARM-based architecture.
- There are 9 security vulnerabilities affecting the MediaTek based Android devices.
- 4 security vulnerabilities affect the Qualcomm chips
- 13 security vulnerabilities affect the Qualcomm closed-source components.
- 2 security vulnerabilities affect Unisoc components.
The security update dated 05 February 2024 addresses all vulnerabilities with HIGH security vulnerability.
Devices that use the security patch level of 2024-02-05 or newer must include all applicable patches in this (and previous) security bulletins.
Critical vulnerabilities in Android Security Update
There is a single critical security vulnerability that affects the Android security system. We list the vulnerability below.
- This is a Remote Code Execution vulnerability.
- The security vulnerability affects Android Operating System versions 11, 12, 12L, 13, 14.
- The most severe vulnerability in this section could lead to remote code execution with no additional execution privileges needed.
This threat has been patched in the security update released on 1 February 2024.
Find the Android version
You can find the version of Android running on your device using the following instructions:
- Open your phone’s Settings app.
- Near the bottom, tap About phone Android version.
- Find your ‘Android version’, ‘Android security update’ and ‘Build number’.
How to get the security update for Android?
Get security updates and Google Play system updates
Most system updates and security patches happen automatically. To check if an update for your Android device is available:
- Open your device’s Settings app.
- Tap Security and privacy System and updates.
- For security updates, tap Security update.
- For Google Play system updates, tap Google Play system update.
- Follow any steps on the screen to complete the update.
Your Android device may reboot as part of the security update application process.
Pixel phones and Pixel Tablet install downloaded Android updates in the background. The installed updates become active the next time you restart your device.
For all other Android devices, many Android phones and tablets automatically restart while they install downloaded Android updates. The updates become active when the installation of the security update finishes.
Related Security Stories
You may like to read additional cyber security stories:
- AnyDesk Cyberattack incident – February 2024
- Cloudflare Data Breach – November 2023
- Ivanti VPN Vulnerabilities – Jan 2024
- Mercedes Source Code Leak – Jan 2024
- Schneider Electric Ransomware attack – Jan 2024
- Android Security Update – Feb 2024
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Rajesh Dhawan is a technology professional who loves to blog about smart wearables, Cloud computing and Microsoft technologies. He loves to break complex problems into manageable chunks of meaningful information.